Three more native orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Today, cdub and I had the opportunity to visit a preserve where prescribed fire has yielded some of the state's rarest flora.

Calopogon pallidus
img1975medium8ja.jpg

img2003medium0qa.jpg

img1989medium1xn.jpg

The 15 or so individuals at this site represent the only known instances of this species currently in the state of Virginia. Even more amazingly, they only appeared a few years ago. Prescribed fire in the area has made it possible for dormant plants and old seed banks to spring back to life.

Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis
img2023medium8yp.jpg

These plants appear to have no leaves. They actually have several, but they sheath the stem very,very tightly.

And finally, the grand finale...

are you ready?

are you sure?

Platanthera blephariglottis var. conspicua
img2015medium2fa.jpg

errr... well... I think we've got a bit of waiting to do.

Heather said:
I love the first! very lovely.

So, inquiring minds need to know...did you yank them up for resale? :poke:

(I am TOTALLY kidding....it's that Heather & Zach thing again....) :rolleyes: Can't. Stop.
Duh! You know me!

Are you going to collect a pod of that Calopogon pallidus? Be interesting to get that into artificial propagation... I've only been successful cultivating seed of Calopogon tuberosus var. tuberosus (most likely because that was the only species available to me!)...lol

That Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis looks really great... The usage of 'gracilis' confuses me... is this a varietal level (of Spiranthes lacera) that was split into a specific taxon (Spiranthes gracilis, more correctly known as Spiranthes tuberosa), or a mere varietal level (Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis), not directly associated with Spiranthes gracilis (Spiranthes tuberosa)... Spiranthes gracilis (Spiranthes tuberosa) also blooms with no leaves, just tightly clustered sheathes running high up the spike, and the leaves appear about a month later, being dark green and ovate... any seed pods collected? Those pods look about ready to pick off before they dehiss...

Platanthera blephariglottis var. conspicua... more like "inconspicua"... =)

-Pat

Mahon said:
Are you going to collect a pod of that Calopogon pallidus? Be interesting to get that into artificial propagation... I've only been successful cultivating seed of Calopogon tuberosus var. tuberosus (most likely because that was the only species available to me!)...lol
I'm not touching those pods. Those plants already have a great set of state employees looking out for their wellbeing.

Mahon said:
That Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis looks really great... The usage of 'gracilis' confuses me... is this a varietal level (of Spiranthes lacera) that was split into a specific taxon (Spiranthes gracilis, more correctly known as Spiranthes tuberosa), or a mere varietal level (Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis), not directly associated with Spiranthes gracilis (Spiranthes tuberosa)... Spiranthes gracilis (Spiranthes tuberosa) also blooms with no leaves, just tightly clustered sheathes running high up the spike, and the leaves appear about a month later, being dark green and ovate... any seed pods collected? Those pods look about ready to pick off before they dehiss...

It's just a variety of S. lacera. S. tuberosa has a pure white lip while S. lacera (and S. lacera var. gracilis) have green on the lip.

Mahon said:
Was wondering if you would send me some pods or plants of some of those species for propagation research... I am willing to compensate you for time and shipping... Am interested in both plants and seeds of all the wild orchids you find (no plants of Corralorhiza trifida, this genus is impossible to dig up wild plants and cultivate, propagation by seed is the only successful way to grow and establish the species of that genus)...

I am really interested in the Cyp. acaule alba plants... though these aren't rare (just need to look long enough to find them), I am curious to see if they breed true alba or breed pinks, lights, and albinos... there may be some genetic diversity found within the Cyp. acaule alba, and may not breed true... Also interested in pods and/or plants of Cyp. acaule... just seeing what it would take to grow outside of ideal conditions to keep in alive (here in FL, at least)...

Liparis, I used to have many species, primarily the Asian terrestrial species with out the elongate pseudobulb (found on Liparis condlyobulbon)... am interested in trying to propagate this one as well...

I am not cultivating for profit, just want to make the rarest a little more common and have better forms and colorations... and possibly make some money in the mean time, not enough for profit...

Thanks for all the help you can provide me,

-P.A. Mahon
That is illegal. There are proper channels to go through. PMing me to break the law for you is not one of those channels.

Last edited:
Fire Shrimp are easy...it's maintaining the reef it lives in that's actual work. They run in price from $20-$40 depending on where you look. Should you decide to get one, let me know and I'll help out...or PM Lien, I'm sure he knows more about them than I do, I just have that feeling.

Sorry for the above hijacking;)

I'll leave on this note about protected species in the wild,

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
________
Honda cr125m specifications

Last edited:
heres something else to lighten up the mood. I hope it isnt to inappropriate.

kinda looks like something I wouldve done when i was that young :p

"Look!"

boyswillbeboys.jpg

I am sorry if I mis-stated my purpose, but I was unsure if you have a large property and that was where you were finding the wild orchids. I guess I was wrong on that, as I checked the first sentense of the pics, which I skipped over.

I do not want wild plants that are illegal, as I have too much invested time and money into my well established and well to do research on propagating the rarest orchid species. I am sorry if I strike anyone as an orchid guru, but that is not even remotely near what I am.

My species are all legal and well documented, I cannot risk having any troubles or problems for a single plant, nor a minute seed that is illegal. I was interested in expanding research from all my FL native species into other US species. My interest in expansion into US orchid species propagation, just ENDED now. My purpose of my FL Native Orchid Project is to propagate and re-introduce into pre-recorded habitats or habitats deemed safe for the survival of the plant... not sell (there's no profit or vast interest).

-P.A. Mahon

Latest posts

Back