Three garden (ITW) photos - where's Ki? I need an ID!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Turk's Cap Lily - I LOVE these!!!!
img1643ya0.jpg

A late blooming Iris (not sure which one!)
img1642bb6.jpg

And the mystery plant - looked it up in the book I have to no avail. Any ideas? No one at work (that I have run into lately) knows. It is quite lovely though!

img1644yk3.jpg

Last edited:
Unless the tepals reflex more on that Lily, or its othewise labeled, I'm almost positive it's Canada Lily, Lilium canadense. One of my favorites. The Turk's Cap Lily, L. superbum, once treated as a variety of L. canadense, has upper leaves that are alternate on the stem, whereas the Canada lily has upper leaves that appear mostly whorled. I transplanted a few to my parents backyard a few years ago.

hpim0572xw1.jpg

I'm not sure about the iris, but it sure is nice.

I think the third photo is a Centaurea sp. (or hybrid).

EDIT: Ok now after staring at the photos for a while I think Heather's photo may indeed be L. superbum.

Hmm, I wondered about Centauria last night! It's one of the first latin wildflower names I memorized. I know, I'm a dork. I've had a really fun time working on learning them though. Need to get back to that project.

Chris - there were some other lillies in the area that I think were Turk's Cap, but I couldn't get close enough to get a good photograph. Or close enough to realize they were likely different species! These were growing in a very marshy/pond area if that helps any. Both were beautiful but now that I think of it, part of the reason I wasn't able to photograph the others was they they were so much taller. Definitely a different growth habit than the one's I posted above.

Heather, the mystery one I have at my house too...isn't it a bachelors button?

Heather, the mystery one I have at my house too...isn't it a bachelors button?

Centauria cyanis - yeah, I think we're all leaning towards that one but it is about 2.5 " across which I thought was large for that species but I could certainly be wrong! I'll try to nail down one of the Hort. guys on Monday and find out for sure.

Latest posts

Back