This one is a mystery

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gideon

This is a division of a plant which was bought from a collector (most likely habitat collected) in Laos many years ago, it was assumed to be Paph. callosum var. thailandense, which it clearly is not... any ideas?

TRO_paph_1.jpg

TRO_paph_2.jpg

TRO_paph_3.jpg

TRO_paph_4.jpg

TRO_paph_5.jpg

Good Guess... I'd have also said callosum from Thailand or Laos. Whatever it is, it's very cool. I love that dorsal, and it has nice color all around.

- Matt

Colour, wow. I love seeing the flower from different angles. Less of a muge shot.:D

Gideon said:
... any ideas?

TRO_paph_1.jpg

Hello Gideon,

I would say it's P. callosum, perhaps not the common clone but P. callosum.
In my opinion the differences are normal within the variety of a species which natural habitat is such a large or huge area (Thailand/Laos/Malaysia)
The dorsal is more slender than that of the common P. callosum but the stance of the petals is P. callosum, the warts on the petals are P. callosum and last but not least the staminode is genuine P. callosum.
Please compare with mine P. callosum and correct me in case I'm wrong.
paph_callosum.jpg

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

I would say that it is the sublaeve form of callosum (which is the same as "thailandense", I believe...) The main thing that is unusual is the lack of warts on the petals...probably something else got into the genetic makeup at some point...barbatum, perhaps? Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back