They're not Sophronitis anymore!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

Dr. Braem recently came out with an article in Richardiana (Volume 6-2, April 2006) and moved all the Laelias that were moved to Sophronitis into a new genus ...Chironiella

Species include:

Chironiella grandis
Chironiella lobata
Chironiella purpurata
Chironiella tenebrosa
Chironiella xanthina
Chironiella grandis

is this article accessible somewhere online? and can we hear Dr Braem's comments on it? I'm interested to know why they were moved, especially as I thought they had just been moved into sophronitis recently.

ScottMcC said:
is this article accessible somewhere online? and can we hear Dr Braem's comments on it? I'm interested to know why they were moved, especially as I thought they had just been moved into sophronitis recently.

I don't think it is online. I have the printed version, which is in French.

Tony said:
I don't see what was wrong with them being Laelias....

how dare you say that!

(what makes that funny is that i couldn't tell the difference between a Laelia and a Sophrontis...i'd probably call them all Catts...)

I can't say that I know anyone that changed their tags from laelia.........The purpurata group does scream for a seperation from the rupiculous laelias so that makes sense. Lumping it all into sophronitis pretty much drove everyone over the edge!

I think they're just bored old men with nothing better to do than re-classify plants. they need to make up their minds though... starting to get old.

Latest posts

Back