They're coming.... my first flask.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your plants look fine. Don't be afraid to look at the roots and replace the moss. The roots won't have root hairs at this stage. Please keep in mind that growing orchids from flask will require a lot of experience before you get consistently good results. You are going to spend a lot of money and a lot of plants are going to die. Also, you picked a species known to be difficult, so feel good about your results. I've had many flasks where I killed all of the plants.

I am going to post a photo my tigrinum, but keep in mind that I've been growing from flask for more than 40 years. These are the ones in the previous photos identified as 3 months out of flask.
View attachment 31643View attachment 31644
Whatever these are, they look incredible and I congratulate you. But they just don’t look like tigrinum seedlings! I’m not saying they’re not but if they are, wow.

Whatever these are, they look incredible and I congratulate you. But they just don’t look like tigrinum seedlings! I’m not saying they’re not but if they are, wow.
They are from Sam and they look just like the little ones in his greenhouse. They are OIS0128 and OIS0185. I have been tracking them with photos since they were deflasked. No chance of misidentification on my end. Mike

I've been looking through some stuff, and did some quick web searches trying to find where I ordered these from. ...

If any of those orders were for the mesh bottom trays, i'd be interested in the source... don't care about the tops... just 4" or 5" mesh bottom trays 1.5 - 2.5 " deep... (thanx for considering even looking... i know these research tasks can be time consuming when there is a lot of stuff to look through)

Those are gorgeous, so fat and happy. What kind of light are they getting?

If any of those orders were for the mesh bottom trays, i'd be interested in the source... don't care about the tops... just 4" or 5" mesh bottom trays 1.5 - 2.5 " deep... (thanx for considering even looking... i know these research tasks can be time consuming when there is a lot of stuff to look through)
I looked exhaustively on-line for them. No soap. It turns out that the ones you're interested in were privately obtained, and as far as I know, are no longer available. However, I have an inquiry in about them for you.

GE EcoLux 5000K t8 at 15 inches, 75 degrees during day and 70 degrees at night. I use small amounts of Better Grow Orchid Fertilizer in about 5:1 RO/tap. The TDS of final solution is 150ppm. I never let them completely dry out. Mike
Thanks so much for the encouraging words, Mike. And the info. Awesome results for you! They almost look like succulents !

As above, don’t use sphagnum, you can do it but seriously it’s too hard to water and not turn them into a rotting mess. I tried a lot of mixes as I couldn’t initially get roots to grow. Turns out they like a very aerated mix. The solution for me was simple, just use a larger bark, sift out the fines to avoid the sludge at the bottom of the pot and use a little moss on top of the pot to stabilise the moisture. I grow all my plants outside in the shade house. No fancy enclosures, heating, cooling or fans etc. Just chuck them outside. Winter is down to 2°C and summer up to 45°C. It’s a dry climate here, so low humidity particularly in summer. 10% is not uncommon in the hottest part of the day.

Latest posts

Back