They are at it again...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but two vendors have again stolen my photographs are are using them to sell their plants.

One is on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECIES-C-PERCI...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a0e5405
Does anyone know anything about this vendor? I contacted ebay last night, but so far they've not removed the photo.

The other was Norman's Orchids. I contacted them last night, also, and to their credit, the photo is no longer on their site.

Isn't your name usually on your photos, Dot? Did he somehow photoshop it out of the picture?

I do now, Candace. But years ago when I was naive, I thought people wouldn't steal small photos because they were too small and low resolution to print and frame. I never dreamed vendors would do the stealing and use them on the web to sell their plants! So these legacy small photos don't have a copyright on them, but there is a statement on Porter's website that says one must have permission to use any photos posted there:
http://portersorchids.com/catalog_info.htm (scroll down to bottom of page).

Unfortunately I see that is getting quite frequent that some big nursery are using stolen photos....Many of my photos have been stolen few years ago.
The bad thing is that some are selling flasks with photo of my plant as 1 parent..(1 particularly...
http://www.phragmipediumkovachii.com/Photogallery/gallery/hybrids/Phrag-Memoria-Dick-Clements.htm
in the page:
http://www.phragmipediumkovachii.com/flasks/Our-catalog.htm)
For experts,you can see that is a 4N Ph.Mdc.Probably many peoples were excited to have possibility to buy a kovachii x Mdc 4N (I will be),but in reality is fake.....so pay attention.(At that time I use to use only a Part of photos,and so,that one,is only a part of photo...still have the full original one...I will be happy to know how mr Alfredo Manrique can prove that this photo is from him as he putted "Photo © Alfredo Manrique" on it!!!...).
The same photo was stolen by someone else in Thailand and in Australia.

Hi Dot,
that is so wrong-- to use your lovely photo to sell their plants. I am always leary when a photo is used to "represent" what a flower will look like. At the very least they should give you photo credits. I doubt if it would help, but have you thought of contacting ebay, or how about asking the seller a guestion that will post right on the sales page. Something like-- NOTE: Why are you using MY photo without my permission? Hope you get some results.
Lindafrog ( who is looking forward to coming downstate to the Lansing show-weather permitting)

None of the pictures match between the two you are linking to. Did they get changed, or am I missing something?

Susan
It's really strange. When I first posted this thread, Normans had taken my photo off their page, so that's why I said "To their credit, they removed it." Then when I went back later to check, my photo was back! This morning, my photo's thumbnail was replaced by one that I assume was their own photo, but when I clicked on it, there was my photo. Tonight, both my photo's thumbnail and the larger version are gone, replaced with their own.

I wonder what will happen tomorrow!

Linda, I did contact ebay -- more than once. I see tonight that the photo is finally gone.

I'll look forward to seeing you next weekend!!

I wonder what will happen tomorrow!

The sun will come up tomorrow!:D

Crazy games, eh? I love it when you have folks who steal photos with the prime purpose to sell a product and say such wonderful things as "well, mostly my site is educational", "I wasn't sure of the source, so I thought it would be OK", "if it's on the net, then it's ripe for the taking etc."

The sun will come up tomorrow!:D

I hope you are right -- we haven't seen the sun here in days!

Unfortunately, I think some people will do whatever they think they can get away with.

It would be nice to get an apology from Normans, but I'd be amazed if that happened! As for the ebay seller, well, he's one I'll never buy from.

Back