Thelymitra megacalyptra

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, fantastic!

Culture tips please?
Thanks!

Thelymytra species are summer dormant and rest as tubers during this period. At this time, you must keep them completely dry. New leaves will emerge in late summer, then you can water regularly and fertilize once a month with low EC level (around 0.3 mS/cm) like for Disa species. Culture in full sun is essential. They can tolerate low temperatures (I keep mine at about +2°C during winter but it is said that they can tolerate light frost until -5°C). When the plant starts to bloom, reduce watering and stop completely when its leaves die back. I grow them in a substrate mainly made of peat + around 5% of quartz sand (I was advised not to add more!). However, I will try to grow them in a mix made of Akadama/Kanuma/Perlite next season as I don't like peat. Anyway, substrate must be well draining and acidic.

Thelymitra megacalyptra is not that difficult to succeed with.

These flowers are absolutely stunning. 👌 👌 I don't grow such species but am always fascinated by their flowers. Furthermore I read they would be hard to grow. When I read your growing advice I'm wondering how you get the peat wet again after such a stong dry period? Do you always repot before the growing season starts?

That colour is wonderful. Is this an autumn flowerer or are you from the northern hemisphere?
Yes, I live in France and the plant is blooming actually.

Did you ever see them in the wild in your country? There are real beauties among this genus.

These flowers are absolutely stunning. 👌 👌 I don't grow such species but am always fascinated by their flowers. Furthermore I read they would be hard to grow. When I read your growing advice I'm wondering how you get the peat wet again after such a stong dry period? Do you always repot before the growing season starts?
For sure it is very difficult and long to get the peat wet again after such a long rest period, and it is the main reason why I would like to change their substrate next season. Moreover, when the peat is finally wet again, I am always afraid that the tubers will rot. So I will try akadama and kanuma.

I haven't cultivated this genus for very long: I have had my oldest Thelymitra for only 2 years, so I haven't repotted them yet. They have always remained in their pot during their rest period. As already said, when they have all gone dormant within a few weeks, I will repot them in a substrate made of kanuma and akadama. Then I plan to repot them every 2 or 3 years.

You should give a try to this genus, and the only seller I know in Europe is one of your compatriots. ;-)

Yes, I live in France and the plant is blooming actually.

Did you ever see them in the wild in your country? There are real beauties among this genus.

Yes, I see them all the time including your species. In fact, I posted some photos of a few species you can see near where I live which you can see here -

https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/some-australian-terrestrials.46444/page-5
I grow some too. I have a hybrid that is easy to grow and flower. I recently bought some tubers of the species ixioides.

Yes, I see them all the time including your species. In fact, I posted some photos of a few species you can see near where I live which you can see here -

https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/some-australian-terrestrials.46444/page-5
I grow some too. I have a hybrid that is easy to grow and flower. I recently bought some tubers of the species ixioides.

You're a lucky man to live where they grow David! :) I wish I could visit your country but it is so far from mine...

T. ixioides is a wonderful species with all its dark dots, but unfortunately I have never seen it for sale here in Europe. But my holly grails are T. variegata, T. speciosa and T. pulcherrima, but I think that unfortunately they will remain a dream!

All the best.

I tried one this year. Grew a cute little leaf, seemed healthy as could be, never made a new tuber. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back