the will to live

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave b

Reaction score
This may be common fare to many of you, but im amazed by the will of this phrag to live. Im repotting it, and decided to share the story / photo. Its a division of Sorcerer's Apprentice (long. 'Select' x sargentianum 'Bwd' AM/AOS), my first phrag. Ive seen momma plant, and its BIG. I got it last summer at our societies summer auction (a few bucks). It was pretty small at the time, less than 1/2 of what it is now. Got it home, and found it to have NO roots whatsoever. Just 1 1/2 main growths and a dried brown stub for the base. My heart sank. Repotted it, put it outside with the rest of the plants, and wallah! OK, lots of water, mostly rain and some fert. here and there.

sorcerer_plant.jpg

The main growths were very small when i got it.

sorcerer_roots.jpg

It now has 5 new baby growths coming off the once dry, barren base. Roots and new growths have popped out from everywhere. I wish i had a before pic. Cant wait for the day i can show some flower pics.

Heather said:
Looks happy! What kind of mix did you put it in?

Just a standard Phal type bark mix amended with a bit of charcoal, perlite, and peat chunks. Threw in a couple foam peanuts also.

Im out of bark mix, and dont have enough hydroton to do a full S/H. I do have a big bag of coconut chunks. Was thinking of mixing a coco / hydroton blend. Or, is it crazy to use something new, knowing what worked so well thus far? Ive been soaking the coco chunks, in case they have salts.

MARVELOUS!!! I have a couple of plants going through the same thing right now.

Latest posts

Back