The ugliest phrag bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
:rollhappy: my jason fischer got too close to the microwave! o_O Seems like it is jason fischer season on the forum...
DSCN3011.jpg

A single blooming mutant and stuck in the leaves, I openned the petals my hand to see what I have. Too bad. its a 6 growth plant with smaller growths inbetween. I think this cross is a compact plant.

Currently growing in sphag, but I might change that. This plant tends to yellow its leaves in sphag more than my other phrags. I might use hydroton + bark + other stuff.

you ain't kiddin' about compact. that spike sure is too....
i mean....
is it a first bloom?

Ugly is also necessary

Well,

You got to see the ugly ones too to better appreciate the beautiful ones. But who knows what it will be next time, if there is a next time.

Michel :evil:

This one is one of Chuck Ackers breeding (not that he can't breed mutants). I trust the local vendor I bought the plant from. I bought the plant right away as I had wanted this cross for a long time and it was never easily available in Canada.

This was a while ago but I remember that the man I bought this from had told me he had two Jason Fischers in his collection, one bloomed and one unbloomed. He showed me a picture of one he bloomed. It was a very dark Jason Fischer but very oblong shaped petals. I caught that it had either previously spiked or blasted, so we assumed that the photo was likely this plant.

Oh well...I was excited that it had V-shaped leaves in the center (= spike!) but bummed that it was this! I am very hopeful it will be normal next time.

So far I think Jason Fischers are tougher to bloom than besseae! (But that is only based on one plant) It is one hairy beast though. I do love the deep colour.

Jason Fischers shouldn't be harder to bloom than besseae. This one has very good color and should bloom normally if the spike continues. If you want to trade it, let me know.

A good arguement for teaching your 'chids' not to go near the appliances without supervision.:poke:

--Allen--:rollhappy:

My experience with Phrag Jason Fischer is not that it is tough to bloom, in fact it is quite regular. The difficulty is growing the plant to maturity (5-7 growths) without a lot of patience. My awarded plants didn't really show off until they were at least 5 years old. They now have quite robust growths, throwing multiple growths each year and inflorescences about the thickness of a pencil. That's after about 8 years or so......

This plant is easier to grow than Phrag besseae, but takes patience and observation to grow well.

OK, I looked closely and see what happened; the dorsal got stuck and the pouch is bent in half. Jason Fischers shouldnt be compact, give him some more water and fert.

Latest posts

Back