The Stony Nano (image intense)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
UPDATE TIME!!

Since it's been roughly ten years since I've posted pics of the tank...or at least feels that way, I thought I'd share some pics of how the tank is now. I currently have two reef tanks running, this one as a display tank, and another tank as a propagation tank that houses all my soft corals and mandarin goby. Getting pics of the prop tank is no easy task since it resides underneath a 55 gallon terrarium and fitting a camera between the stand and tank is nearly impossible. I will still try later and see what I can do.

Full Tank Shot without Actinics:
IMG_3488.jpg

FTS with Actinics:
IMG_3456.jpg

Some Top Down shots (my favorites btw)
IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

Jon

Now for some coral update pics:

Montipora undata June 14, 2007
IMG_3380.jpg

July 30, 2007
IMG_3465.jpg

Duncanopsammia auxifuga June 14, 2007
IMG_3383.jpg

July 30, 2007
IMG_3469.jpg

One of my favorites, Acropora chesterfieldensis
IMG_3473.jpg

And lastly, one of my newest corals, Acropora robusta
IMG_3477.jpg

Jon

My most recent addtions, these are frags from a well known captive breeding place called ORA. They're still acclimating in the sand bed, but I couldn't resist snapping some pics.

ORA German Green with Blue Polyps Acro...I've been waiting for over a year to get one of these!!
IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

ORA Blue Milli, also in above pic
IMG_3506.jpg

ORA Australian Delicate
IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

ORA Chip's Acro
IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

ORA Rose Milli
IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

Spectacular!! I had a few salt water tanks for several years. I mainly had salt water fish, but did keep a few anenomes etc. I never tried corals. Very nice and curious, what do you do with the ones you propagate? Aren't they extremely slow growing? Thanks for the photos!

Some grow really fast, some really slow, depends on the type and species. Anymore I mostly propagate them to have stuff to trade with so I can get other ones I'm looking for.

Jon

Mesmerizing, Jon.
If I have something like that , I am afraid that I will be sitting in front of the tank the whole day and won't be able to do anything else.

That's a fantastic setup. I've seen so many saltwater tanks that went with more fish and couldn't sustain their corals and sponges. I take it that you are a lottery winner :poke:

Shaun

Well, it's been a while......

I think it's year 3 on this tank now, but here's some pics:

Some random corals:

Tyree Watermelon Alien Eye Chalice on the left, Scott's Watermelon on right
IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

ORA Hawkins Echinata
IMG_4347.jpg

ORA Phil's Granulosa
IMG_4397.jpg

Tyree Sunset Monti starting to grow in
IMG_4396.jpg

An Orange Acan echinata I grew from a single tiny polyp
IMG_4398.jpg

Some of my favorite Zoas/Palys
IMG_4388.jpg

And the tank as of today:
IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4384.jpg

The nano's only inhabitant these days, a Purple Coral Banded Shrimp. I've had this darn shrimp for almost a year and seen him 3 times!! He only comes out at night, and only if he's hungry. I thought he was dead long ago until one day I found a molting of his.

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

The most recent pic I have of the prop tank

IMG_3641.jpg

And a fish that used to live in the nano that got moved to the prop tank, my Helfrichi Firefish
IMG_3894.jpg

Latest posts

Back