The sound of silence- a contest for lurkers!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys just joined yesterday i grow phrags but here in australia there hard to come by here in what i have

phrag shimlii
" fisceri
" longifolium
" sargentianium
" Noirmont
" grande
" court jester
and a lonley paph insigne

i live in sydney and am 15

whoa. a contest?

Just happened to stop by and then I noticed the big sign at the top telling me that I've never posted.... I think it's been a while since I signed up. Anyway, I was going to post "Hi, I'm here", when I noticed this thread. How cool is this?

Some of you might recognize me from elsewhere (Ki/Komi). I grow slippers on the side and must hold the world record for the most xerophytically grown phrags ever. I can't say they look all that great, but.....

I also have some paphs but only a few that are blooming size and they just will not bloom for me... I suspect they need some kind of environmental trigger - I grow in an apartment that has pretty steady temps year-round.

Sedenii seems to be the happiest. This was a first bloom on a seedling, which promptly bloomed on the next growth without skipping a beat. (schlimii 'Elizabeth' x longifolium 'Windy Hill's Midnight' AM/AOS)

124632310_96c8ddf358.jpg

Another first bloom on a seedling. Phrag. Prince Caspian (Sorcerer's Apprentice 'Woodstream' AM/AOS x Robert Palm 'Windy Hill' AM/AOS).

98490973_27bc0042cc.jpg

On my wish list is Phrag. Leo Schordje (assuming the tag at the USBG is accurate)

86717599_6e45babec3.jpg

and Phrag Cardinale, another shot taken at the USBG (I think).

86718777_b61b631b34.jpg

Wow, you guys are coming out of the woodwork now that we're down to the 24 hour mark! :poke:

Dan, hello! Welcome!!

KI! Jeez, girl....way to change the user name!!! Yet just the other day I was browsing your photos and didn't make the connection. Duh.....
Glad you are here, kinda wondered why you weren't!
Feel free to start a food thread anytime! I am disney'd at GW and can only lurk in the ones over there. Sucks. I hate not being able to participate. :(

Well, Welcome!!

omg, I was wondering who that phrag was named after, and he's on this board!

hey Heather, I signed up not long after John de DC gave me a heads up. I'm trying to stop people from calling me "komi" to my face - it's just a screen name.... On the other hand, we (me and the orchids) always need more water and no one's going to think it's a real name, duh.

I'M a new guy on the block

Hi Everyone... Jim Blanford here, letting you know I am a member of the Batavia Orchid Society in Batavia, Il. (Suburb of Chicago) I have been growing ochids about 11 years, and now have about 160... Forty or more are Paphs, and Phrags... The rest are a mixed bag of Phals, Catts, Etc. I am a retired cinematogpher from the motion picture business... Hobbies are orchids, tropicals, and just plain anything that grows... Why do I live in a cold climate??? It's home!!! I have a pond, with Koi, and just love the outdoors... I grow my orchids under lights in the basement. I grow with HPS, Metal Halide, and Flourscent... I swear by Michigan State Fertilizer.. I enjoy this forum very much... I have a lovely wife and two married children... I am a happy camper.... Jimmy

Marco said:
Hey spot, welcome to the forum. Mind if I ask where you got the neofinetia compot :)
hi, marco. ive been meaning to contact you about this...i got my current compot from hbi. its kihou yellow treasure x self. theyre strong growers. when i bought it, i thought it was going to be yellow flowers, but i believe the yellow referred to the leaf variegation, which doesnt get passed on to the progeny. but i digress...
i actually have a great chance of getting a neo flask from troy meyers. its the syutenno 'John's Sparky' AM/AOS x self (pink flower variety). there's only one other person in front of me in line. would you be interested in some how sharing? im not sure how that would work. maybe you should pm me if youre interested.

thanks for the welcomes!

Hi,
I'm Marley, I've lurked a lot and learned a lot so I guess it's time to say hello.
I started growing orchids in 1997 with a NoID Dendrobium which I still have and best yet, it faithfully flowers for me every autumn.
In 1998 I bought my first Paph. (Paph. Spellbound) and am proud to say, it too, is still in my possession and currently showing a bud. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for some of the other Paphs. I've bought in the interim.
I only recently started growing Phrags. in 2004 but they are now my favorite type of orchid to grow. My first was the yellow form of Mountain Maid and when it bloomed for me it stayed in flower for over 9 months so I was hooked. It has since produced a number of new growths and is in flower again. I've bought a few more Phrags. since then, all being various shades of pink. I have a Phrag. Future Impact (ecuadorense x St. Ouen) which in the past year has put up 3 spikes, 2 of which are still in flower. It's that kind of floriferousness that has made me into such a Phrag. fan. Well, that's it for my first post describing 3 of my plants and makes me a lurker no more. And by the way, thanks for this slipper forum.
M

Hi Heather,
Better late than never! I've also been called "last minute Annie"
Kidding's OK in my book, growing up I was always told "we only kid the ones we like"
M

Marley, I hope you will post a photo of your Phrag. Future Impact when it blooms. Sounds interesting.

Welcome to all the No Longer Lurkers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back