The sound of silence- a contest for lurkers!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PHRAG

I am talking to you. YES YOU! You know who you are. The postless few. The lurkers. The "I just like it for the articles" people. I will not name names, though two of you are on the forum as I post this.

We are good people. We don't bite (though Zach might have rabies, he is being tested). Post a thread and tell us what you grow at least. Link to your website if you want. Post a photo of your blooms. Please? Pretty please?

I see you here everyday, sometimes all day long. Say something. I can't stand the silence.

:sob:

Tell you what. I will buy my way into your lurking hearts.

Any new member (less than 5 posts) that responds to this thread with a "Hello" and the names of three orchids that you grow, or want to grow will be entered into a drawing for a $50 gift certificate to the orchid grower of their choice. I am not playing around here! :) Guests and new members are welcome to join and get in on this. But if you disappear shortly after we will know you only loved us for our contests.

Active members who start new accounts in an attempt to win will be subject to ridicule and possibly a public flogging with a wet Cattleya.

I am needy, somebody new talk to me.

The contest will end on Saturday, Sept. 30th at midnight. Get posting!

Mmmmm....wet Cattleya. There's a euphemism in there somewhere.
xwinkdevil.gif

Yeah, okay ...

... you got me. Techically, I am not a lurker, just not a contributing member ... just made that one post on Phal equestris varieties ... just so you don't think all I grow are those disposable commodity orchids, (I actually breed them), I will post a couple slipper photos.

paph_juno_w.jpg

Got this in flask from Norris Powell and got it awarded on first bloom in 1991.

paph_clair_de_lune.jpg

A classic.

paph_sukhakulii_gc.jpg

A seedling selection I got from Valorie Tonkin, this won best Commercial Paph Species at our local show this last Spring.

phrag_grande.jpg

Yes, I also grow a few Phrags.

OOOOooooh, since I am a new member with only a couple posts I'll enter! Mostly I haven't been posting because I've had too much house work to do the last few weeks... ugh, most of it is over.

OK so here's a pic
creme.jpg

It's one of my favorite brachy hybrids, Paph. Creme Brulee. Actually, I like almost anything with godefroyae in the background.

Brian, did you get the moniliforme yet?

Jason,

If you win, I'll just mail you a $50 bill and we will call it a day. :)

Yes, well I'll admit to being a lurker. It's show time here in New Zealand so this is a busy time for us with three shows this month. Some of our Paphs will make the show bench, Paphs Sally Berndt and Debbie Robinson x wardii went last week and Paph Norito Hasegawa will go next week, barring accidents. These plants ase all first flowerings for us so nice to see. Several more are in spike and will hopefully be out at the end of the month. Next thing potting....

Hello
Here are 3 I am growing
Paph.Decipiens
paph.jpg

Paph.'Pucks Apple' Appletonianum 'Rosy' x Mod Maude 'Envy'
paphapple.jpg

Paph Sukhakulii 'Candor Conundrum' x Tigrinum 'Candor Predator'
newpaph.jpg

Dave

Hello! Mike Here. Slipper orchids only represent about 10% of my current collection (about two years into the hobby), but I can forsee that changing with time. I currently have a half dozen maude type paphs that I find easy to grow and rebloom, one spicerium that has yet to rebloom, and one phrag that I feel like I'm slowly degenerating (purchased about six months ago with two buds that both turned brown and died). I do have a question about a paph that is currently reblooming - picture of plant a year ago attached. I understand a flower spike on two different leads like this plant originally did as shown in the photo. This year it put up two spikes on the same lead - one was a short spindly spike with a flower that is having problems trying to open (about 2-3 inches long) and the second was a taller spike that has been open about a week and is very nice (maybe 9 inches tall). Is this phenomena fairly common? Thanks - mike
LadySlipperTwo.jpg

Everybody please keep posting to lower my chances of winning! They are going to charge me big bucks for this one!

Jason Fischer said:
Everybody please keep posting to lower my chances of winning! They are going to charge me big bucks for this one!

We will let you off the hook if you start using your vendor thread.

mayres said:
Is this phenomena fairly common?
Hi Mike -- welcome to the forum. I don't know for sure, but I'd say it is uncommon for a Paph. to send up two spikes from the same growth, but not unusual that one of those spikes would have a deformed flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back