'The Scent of Scandal" discussion

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to send a triffid to the CITES inspectors.

220px-Dayofthetriffids.jpg

Thanks.
Our household didn't know what triffids were either.
The two of us are in the mid 40s.

Tribbles are not endangered so the CITES inspectors would not look at them.

:) ah, but as an invasive or noxious species, they are controlled by cites so their 'commerce' or movement is managed by them. so, they might have to look once in a while ;)

triffids are probably invasive as well :rollhappy: but,... from the picture I can't tell if they are plant or animal. maybe our binomial nomenclatural system doesn't apply to them?!

*edit - upon further review while washing and bleach rinsing my silverware drawer yet again because of mouse invasion, I realized that the usda and it's branches control movement of invasive or noxious species and not cites, so lance's statement about cites' non-interest in triffids is correct. I was trying to be funny at the time and stretched my memory a bit too far... btw, the new-fangled, rotary contained mouse traps work quite well

Does anyone think the author got any of it wrong? I think he may have mischaracterized Glen Decker, not that Glen is a central figure in the story by any means I hasten to add. But I just can't think of Glen as a crafty businessman. I always think of him as a nice guy with a big smile on his face. That's the only disjoint in the author's telling of the story that I can think of.

another way of saying someone is a 'crafty businessman' might be to say that they are a 'shrewd businessperson'. though someone might be placing a bit of emotional context by saying that someone is 'crafty', you could also say that this was describing someone as thinking about all of the angles of a situation, more than most people might be... I know glen somewhat, though not overly personally, and when someone is manning their sales booth or their store, they want people to be welcome and comfortable so that they will spend money! this isn't a negative, it's a good business practice. as someone who has watched vendors behind the scenes at orchid shows and club meetings, there definitely can be a difference behind their presentation when they are selling and when they aren't. I don't have an opinion about any of any orchid vendor's business dealings as I don't make them my business, but I don't think the characterization of someone as a 'crafty businessman' is a negative. it just means they are thinking about all points of a possible business situation, which in reality every business person should do. there is a phrase: 'those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail' :) it's tough making money selling orchids, and many firms have gone out of business. if someone has placed themselves in a position to make money legally, and can survive while not being unethical, then more power to them

if the author was really trying to say that glen was being sneaky and underhanded in some way, then I stand corrected in my interpretation

Last edited:
Tribbles are not endangered so the CITES inspectors would not look at them.
The was a Startrek episode that had tribbles, but I don't know about a triffid

I cant believe you people never saw the movies about Triffids! Worse invasion Brittain ever had! Imagine carnivorous plants that use their roots to drag themselves around!!!

Oh! BTW, plant inspectors can't tell endangered species either! :p

I finished reading The Scent of Scandal which is a book about the kovachii discovery and resulting legal battle. I highly recommend this book, although I'm sure some members may take issues with some of the contents.

Many of you have stated that you believe that you do not tolerate "cheats and liars." However, given the chance to have a plant like PK named after you, wouldn't you take the chance? Is it really so bad what Kovach did?

I finally finished the book too! And you are right: recommendable!!!! I like the way it is structured and written a lot!!!

But, even if I understand Kovach's actings I am not sure I would act so naively anymore !!!(?) :)

Concerning the work overhead created by the event ....!??? Not justified IMHO !!!

Jean

PS: and of course I am proud to be am member of this ST forum, that has been referenced to several times!!!!

Last edited:
I finally finished the book too! And you are right: recommendable!!!! I like the way it is structured and written a lot!!!

But, even if I understand Kovach's actings I am not sure I would act so naively anymore !!!(?) :)

Concerning the work overhead created by the event ....!??? Not justified IMHO !!!

Jean

PS: and of course I am proud to be am member of this ST forum, that has been referenced to several times!!!!

Glad you enjoyed it! i know I did and I agree, I liked how it was structured.

As to the second part of my quote which you added, I asked those questions as talking points and as a "Devil's Advocate." I have stated before here that I would be hard pressed under the circumstances to resist doing what Kovach did. Having seen the fallout from his decision, I would be able to say I probably would not have gone and done it. But i also know, after a 30 year love affair with orchids, that these plants have a remarkable capacity to make otherwise sane and rational people act contrary to those traits. ;)

I just finished reading this book as well. I enjoyed it, though I found myself shaking my head frequently at some of the actions of both people and government organizations...

Latest posts

Back