The reef this month

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
Well, been a while since I've posted an update to the reef, so here you go.

I've recently added a few new critters, for starters my Lettuce Nudibranch (sea slug) who gets the important job of eating pest algaes. Unfortunately he likes to spend most of his time doing daredevil acts such as current surfing and trying to climb inside the water flow exhaust against the current like here:
125_2512.jpg

I've also recently added a Peppermint Shrimp to eat some of my small pest anemones called Aiptasia, but he is also a slacker and is still getting used to me. My fire shrimp used to be shy, and now crawls all over my arm the second it comes into the water and loves to be hand fed, so I'm sure the Peppermint will follow suit in no time. Right now his favorite thing to do is hang upside down in his cave and lean back and forth like he has OCD. Here's a pic of it:
125_2515.jpg

The Royal Gramma and Fire Shrimp still tolerate eachother and even posed together for a shot:
125_2523.jpg

I've also gotten some new corals including this Gorgonian the Fire Shrimp is still fascinated by:
125_2530.jpg

A new large polyped coral called a Watermelon Blastomussa:
125_2529.jpg

And lastly, a new neon chartreuse Palythoa I got in a trade...only myself and one other guy have them, and I could only imagine the money it could bring on eBay:
125_2537.jpg

Jon
________
SUZUKI RV 125 VAN VAN HISTORY

Last edited:
Jon, I can taste blood from biting my lips in order to contain my jealousy. It looks fantastic!

beautiful Jon.....I think you are going too slow in this new hobby, you better kick it up a level :poke:

I love the Blastomussa! Good luck with the peppermint shrimp...they are apparently inconsistent in their appetite for Aiptasia...and keep us posted on the lettuce nudibranch....I haven't really heard of them living very long. Take care, Eric

Luckily I only have one or two tiny Aiptasias, so the peppermint probably will never touch them. The lettuce nudi...with his daredevil desire to explore, I don't doubt him finding the wrong place to end up. They seem magnetically drawn to powerheads for some reason and I too have heard many stories of them meeting a sudden end.

Jon
________
Honda Stepwgn specifications

Last edited:
Yet another update, my tank has been upgraded yet again. Like growing orchids, HID lights offer more options than fluorescents and so I now have a 70w 14,000K metal halide over the tank.

Not only does the light make everything look brighter and crisper, but I can now grow some of the more traditional corals people think of that demand higher light.

Here's some pics:
125_2552.jpg

125_2554.jpg

125_2574.jpg

125_2565.jpg

125_2580.jpg

125_2578.jpg

125_2586.jpg

The last coral is one of the higher light ones, and over the next couple weeks should color up to be purple with green polyps.

Jon
________
Volcano vaporizers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back