The Phals I have right now

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
The start of me having orchids again are just some ordinary NoID Phals, bought at local stores. I bought them to see if I'm capable of caring for them without burning out again. I hope I will but we'll see.

The first I bought didn't have that many roots that I could see and the substrate was quite decomposed. I managed not to kill it during winter and repotted it when I saw the roots had started growing. It has a spike growing at the moment, roots growing and a new leaf. This is how the flowers looked like when I bought it:

1650737638810.png

This is the second Phal, bought from IKEA. I discovered today that it has a very nice fragrance:
1650737742735.png

Third is from a local flower vendor and I discovered after buying it that it's not a NoID. Normally, I don't like these types of Phals but this one seems to be an exception. This is a Phal. Yu Pin Lady 'Magic Art':
1650738021003.png

And since Magic Art could travel home alone, I bought a NoID-friend to keep it company. I had some serious difficulty trying to get the color to display properly:
1650738157962.png

And that's the entire "collection" so far. More orchids will be purchased, but I'll have to wait for warmer temperatures first. I've chosen some Phals that I want and it'll be complex/primary hybrids and most likely no species. This is because I really don't have the energy to put in too much effort to make more finicky orchids enjoy my windowsills.

I do want to get Paphs again but when it comes to them I really want species. I guess I'm very inconsistent when it comes to orchids. 🤣

You have some beauties there. Love the first one in particular and think I also have a NOID like the last one. Is it a mini Phal?
Unfortunately, it isn't. I love mini Phals and while it's not particularly big, it isn't as compact as the ones I used to have. Is yours a mini?

Good to see you are still growing orchids! I remember your incredible artwork!
Aww, that's very kind of you! I wish I could say that I've drawn a lot, but I haven't. Just as I haven't been able to take care of orchids, I haven't really been able to draw either. ☹

I started with the orchids again very recently actually. I think I bought the first Phal some time before Christmas and the rest I've bought now during spring. I want more (duh! addicting little things!) but I'll have to be careful so I don't expand too quickly. 🤪

Welp, my collection lasted even shorter this time around. All of them went into the garbage today as I discovered scale on the one I've had the longest. ☹ I read it's difficult to get rid of (especially in the EU where pesticides aren't readily available for ordinary people) and while they haven't been standing close to each other, I won't dare getting any more orchids as long as there might be scales afoot. So, I made the drastic decision to toss all of them to be absolutely sure there are no pests (except for my cat, but he leaves the orchids alone at least) when I order more Phals.

This is the second (well, first theoretically) Phal I've bought that has had uninvited and unwanted guests. I bought two from IKEA, but I discovered the smaller of them had false mites shortly after and I tossed it immediately and have been keeping an eye on all the others. The reason why I didn't settle for tossing the affected plant is because I read that they spread easier compared to the false mites, even if the plants don't touch.

I've had some serious bad luck this time around and I really hope it doesn't continue. 😕

Beautiful! I’ve always been thinking of purchasing a mini Phal or two, but my collection is starting to take up a lot of space (according to my girlfriend)
Well, mini Phals really don't take up much space... Just saying. 😉

In the future, you can get rid of scale with alcohol on a paper towel. Also there is Neem oil and other 'natural' pest solutions.
Don't know if we have Neem oil here in Sweden... Oh, we have! That's yet another thing I can use then, awesome. Thanks, Eric! 👍

Latest posts

Back