the other ladies that day

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After the crew wrapped up where the northern yellow ladyslippers were, I followed Clark and Crissy back to their place. It was a challenge since Clark was driving like a bat out of h e double hockey sticks (he admitted that he may have been influenced by watching the recent 'Mad Max' movie...) and I was driving someone else's vehicle since mine had been totaled beforehand.

Clark had told me a bunch of times about a park near his place that had pink ladyslippers. I hadn't bothered to express interest before because 'they would be just another pink ladyslipper' and there are tons of them around upstate ny and the adirondacks. This time though I had the feeling I should check them out and get 'official' pics of any orchid from new jersey so I could make another educational display. He'd said that they came up very fast, the plants were tiny, but many of the flowers were very large

pl515a.JPG

pl515b.JPG

pl515c.JPG

pl515d.JPG

pl515e.JPG

pl515f.JPG

pl515g.JPG

pl515h.JPG

pl515i.JPG

pl515j.JPG

Last edited:
I'm sure you noticed that acaule seems to grow best in
deep pine needles. I'm glad you went to see them; they're
getting a bit more rare here due to habitat destruction and
the pine bark beetles that took many of the native pines.
Hey, nice photos too!

These pictures were taken not far from NYC and the ocean which would warm things slightly so I think maybe 5F or zero is what they've been seeing these last two winters though near 10 might be a normal average low
In the Adirondacks in ny and other places similar in New England like Linus says, easily below zero each winter. But, there's usually lots of snow on top as well
And Ty! These were the nicest flowers I've seen of pinks, and it really does make getting a nice picture easier :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom, the fence went up about a week after Chris and I reported theft.
Small shovel marks everywhere that weekend.
Weird, population was fine for generations. Gov't put up signs that year saying Do not disturb, and everything goes missing.
Signs are gone this year.

Very nice! I would be glad to see these beauties in wild. Very interesting that nothing can live in pine needles only the slippers. :)

Latest posts

Back