The Orchid History Project - please contribute.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
How fast was that? :)

In my other thread on the history of Freed's Orchids, I noticed that several people seemed truly interested in the history of orchid growers and breeders, just like I am. I had an idea back when this forum first started, that eventually I was going to build some archives of orchid history as part of this site. Instead, I am going to launch a new site, one which I hope all of you will participate in, and find useful and entertaining. And here it is...

www.orchidhistory.org

Pretty empty, right? That's where I need your help. Please send suggestions for articles that can be added to the archive. The archive will eventually include articles on orchid growers, breeders, hunters, scientists and judges. I hope to add profiles of orchid businesses old and new, some long out of business. I want to include photographs, video and other media files some of which may never have been seen before.

So if you have an idea for an article, tell me what it is. If you have a photo of a greenhouse from the 1940's, send me a scan. If you would like to eventually write an article of your own for inclusion in the archive, give me your contact information.

You can send all email correspondence to [email protected]

Thank you.

I have an older version of the book listed here:

http://www.amazon.com/History-Orchid-Merle-Reinikka/dp/160469047X/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309469026&sr=1-9

A HISTORY OF THE ORCHID

The section of the book that discusses historical figures in orchidology is particularly fascinating.

Part two is nearly 200 pages of biographical sketches of 50 significant figures in orchid history, covering their contributions to the field, beginning with botanist Carl von Linne (1707^-78).

What a great idea. I wish I'd have known this when I published our recent society newsletter, but maybe by next time there will be more information to share and requests to make.

Thats a great idea Dot! It's so very early in the organization stage, but I will add an item on my TO DO list to start reaching out to orchid societies for information.

I will say, that it's only the first day, and I already have some great stuff to share! I can't wait to get this project off the ground.

could this be a wiki sort of thing, where people can log in, and add or edit information about certain sources? I guess if certain information was definite, could that particular page be locked from further editing?
nice idea! I'll bet a lot of people have word of mouth information about people they've known or vendors, but that there isn't much printed information or pictures

could this be a wiki sort of thing, where people can log in, and add or edit information about certain sources? I guess if certain information was definite, could that particular page be locked from further editing?
nice idea! I'll bet a lot of people have word of mouth information about people they've known or vendors, but that there isn't much printed information or pictures

Charles,

The wiki software is already in place! I will be doing most of the editing to begin with, simply because I chose a software package that is more powerful, but not exactly easy to just jump right into. It's going to be very cool.

Right now, I am trying to come up with two things. A list of subjects, such as biographies, media etc. Then I have to come up with subcategories like biographies: breeders and media: newspaper articles. The second thing I am trying to come up with is a format for organization. I need to make a template to format how the pages will look, so that each biography, or print media article looks the same even if the information is different.

You would not believe all of the printed information and pictures I have come across so far, and I have only just started looking. I have a feeling once the website structure is complete, and the articles start getting put together, that we are going to be very overloaded with work to do. It is my hope that once we start reaching out to orchid societies, we are going to find some hidden photographic gems that people have tucked away in their closets at home.

Again, I need all of you to help. I need to start adding to my list of topics, so if you remember an old orchid nursery that you used to shop at that has gone out of business, send me the name, location and what you remember about it. Send me the names of people from your societies that deal with newsletters or meeting announcements. I need the stories and details, no matter how insignificant you think they may be, of where and when you have encountered orchids and orchid growers at shows, nurseries, roadside stands or in the wild. You might just spark the memory of someone else, or fill in the missing puzzle piece of a story we only have bits and pieces of.

For example, there used to be a nursery in New Jersey called Thomas Young Orchids. It's long gone now, but when they were in their prime, they sold orchids to some really famous people. They also helped develop the first refrigerated delivery trucks, to keep their orchids fresh. Someone out there has a catalog, photo or description of what this place looked like. We need this information.

The 10th of the month is deadline for the IOS monthly newsletter -
this is in the hands of the editor! Pass it on to your club editor too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back