The most species in a hybrid?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottMcC

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...I know some of the complex hybrids get pretty crazy, but what's the highest number of species that has been used?

Just for fun, someone should make one that incorporates as many as possible. It'd probably look like a beast and be infertile and a pain to grow, but I'd like to see it anyway.

My first guess would be Paph. lawrenceanum for the huge dorsal. Then second guess would be concolor or bellatulum. I would think they'd be used alot for the bulldogs at least. But I could be wrong.

no no no, not the species that is used in the most hybrids, the most species used in one hybrid.

something with 30-40 species in its parentage, that's what I'm asking about...

Marco said:
My first guess would be Paph. lawrenceanum for the huge dorsal. Then second guess would be concolor or bellatulum. I would think they'd be used alot for the bulldogs at least. But I could be wrong.

Actually I think villosum (or close relative) is the common parent in the background of the bulldogs. That put in allot of size, substance, and gloss.

Hrm a quick look at orchidwiz and the most I can come up with is 12 in Paph. In-Charm Pearl, a 10th generation hybrid:

wenshanense, godefroyae, insigne, curtisii, spicerianum, bellatulum, niveum, callosum, lawrenceanum, villosum, boxallii, druryi

--Stephen

I just found a cross with 14 species (plus unknown): Paph New Dawn (Orchilla x White Legacy). Here is the breakdown according to Wildcatt:
curtisii .10%
superbiens .10%
fairrieanum .20%
exul .39%
hirsutissimum .78%
insigne 12.40%
godefroyae 12.50%
niveum 18.75%
unknown 19.14%
barbatum 3.13%
boxalii 4.97%
charlesworthii 6.25%
villosum 6.30%
bellatullum 6.37%
spicerianum 8.63%

I started looking at Hadley Cash's White Legacy and related crosses because of his infusion of Brachy's into complex hybrids.

Back