The Monarch caterpillar morphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
First picture..yesterday it went into the J position which happens before it morphs into the chrysalis...I tried catching the change but it happened after I went to bed.

this morning the beautiful chrysalis....pic shot through the cage lid . we may transfer it to a stick..depends on if we find anymore.

so the chrysalis basically "is" the caterpillar? wow i had no idea.

Yes....the transformation happens in about 30 secs. Skin splits ,and it thrashes wildly to release the chrysalis. In these next 2 weeks, the "soup" inside turns into a butterfly. As it changes and forms it will turn black....you can see the wings thru the chrysalis then. I'll post updates. All of the ones in the past have hatched in the morning. It takes several hours before they are ready to fly.

Hey I have some pics from this morning
e8cd8544b8fa86d3844d40ca73be1915.jpg

Just a few seconds before, a monarch flew back and forth over trays of asclepias hybrid plugs. I went right to this spot and found the egg it had laid

4fe20a088aaac13b0b1eee9b1ed24db8.jpg

Few hours later I saw this monarch not far from these plugs and it was filling up its new wings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back