The Lumper Splitter Guessing Game

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
Two paphs photographed earlier this year at the London Orchid Show

paphaandbas4.jpg

Five guesses apply:
1. PaphB has something PaphA doesn't have ... it doesn't help identification
2. Lumper's species name for Paph A
3. Lumper's species name for Paph B
4. Exhibition species label for Paph A
5. Exhibition species label for Paph B

4 and 5 could be considered splitter's names and you can award yourself more points for guessing correctly. 1 is very easy and you'd have to be very generous to award yourself any points for this.

Cheers,
Tim

Yes. Right on!
PaphB = P.bullenianum or amabile. I will post the full picture later.
PaphA is more difficult ... clue is that it is probably the species most easily confused with bullenianum.
As for the first question there is an aphid on paphB!
Cheers,
Tim

Chien you got the first part right ... when I saw the name on this plant I had never seen it before and it took me some digging to find out that it was considered to be no different to appletonianum by P. Cribb and others.

I'll post the full pics when I get home tonight.
Cheers,
Tim

I am really confused in this section, although I had tried hard to study them.
I thought I know them, but finally I think I still can not tell which is appletonianum or hainanese. They are too similar to each other.
Look at these photos.
DSCN2742_resize.jpg

CIMG3681_resize.jpg

CIMG3682_resize.jpg

CIMG2726_resize.jpg

DSCN2105_resize.jpg

DSCN1949_resize.jpg

P1020134.jpg

Are they the same? Aren't they the same? More and more confused.....

Great photos! Good question - I certainly can't tell you! I notice some differences - the first 4 have a scallop type edge to the upper edge of the petal, the dots have raised them! The first 3 have a pointy upright dorsal, the others have a pointy hood. Then there is the color issue but due to differences in lighting, I think we have to throw that out. Are these accepted variables??? Heck if I know!

Chien, thanks for the wonderful photos. I'm in the confused camp with these ... in fact I would probably have called some these bullenianum !!!
I guess I will have to see a lot of specimens to even begin to sort it out ... and it doesn't help that plants get labelled wrongly either.

Here are the photos I promised.
PaphA was labelled Paph. cerveranum (= appletonianum)
pcerveranumdw6.jpg

PaphB was labelled Paph. amabile (= bullenianum)
pamabilemg7.jpg

I wonder how much the formal descriptions would help here ?

Cheers,
Tim

Myxodex and Chien,

Is there a chance to see the leaves of any or all of these plants? A full, top view would answer a question, as would additional photos in a week or 10 days, when I believe, these flowers will change considerably, ...answering another question.

I suspect Chien's plants are from two different sources, if not, it will answer yet another question. Your plants look like P. robinsonii, but could be P. amabile.

Myxodex, your Plant A may still be P. appletonianum, Plant B looks like P. amabile or P. robinsonii and a frontal view and photos of the leaves would help, if you have them, could you post 'em?

Thanks

They came from 5 source, #2 and #3 are from the same source, #5 and #6 are from the another source, and others are all from different nurseries, and I believe they are all from different source!
I'll try to take photos of their leaves later.

Lance,
Unfortunately I can't ... well not yet anyway. The flowers were photographed by Brigitt, my other half, at the London Orchid Show in March this year, and these were the only pic's she took. I did however buy a division of the "cerveranum", which I can try to photograph this weekend. There were a number of P. appletonianum at the show and I liked this one even though it didn't have the biggest flowers. It did have good contrast between dark and light colouration and was glossier than some of the others.
I bought a division of P. amabile from the same vendor at the Peterborough Show this year but unlike with the "cerveranum", I cannot be sure it is from same as the plant on show in London. However, my supposed P. amabile I think has a bud developing ... but can't be sure yet. However, I will photograph this plant as well and post them on this thread ... but it will have to wait until the weekend.
Cheers,
Tim

Latest posts

Back