The local Cypripediums (acaule and parviflorum var. pubescens)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
We only have two Cyp. species in the immediate Williamsburg area. Unfortunately, with finals and trying to write up my research, I haven't had much time to get out and photograph these guys.

Cypripedium acaule
acaule.jpg

As you can see, this species LOVES pine straw.

acauleclose.jpg

This species has a rather large basal orifice (pollinator exit). Several studies have confirmed that these are pollinated by bumblebees (genus Bombus).

Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens
pubescens.jpg

Last spring, this population had 99 blooming stems.

pubescensclose.jpg

This species has a much smaller basal orifice, indicating pollination by much smaller bees.

One of my roommates told me about another population of C. acaule he saw while running in the campus woods. I investigated today and got a few photos. I've never seen so many in one place; the ground was absolutely blanketed in some areas. Lots of big clumps, too.

acaulegroup.jpg

acaulegroup3.jpg

acaulegroup2.jpg

Interesting information about the parviflorum. My largest clump last year had 22 blooming growths. This year it dropped to 9. Have grown fifteen years from a mature seedling and this is first decline. Nice to know this can happen in nature too.

Latest posts

Back