The King of besseae. 'Rob's Choice'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Fischer

www.orchidweb.com
Reaction score
This is, by far, the best besseae flower I have ever seen. It is a 4N, and is a natural tetraploid from the ozone sib cross ('Ozone' x 'Eat My Dust') which was made in the early 90's. It is not easy to breed with, but in almost every case when it does breed, the offspring yield flowers of excellent shape, color and size. The leaves are twice (if not more) as thick as any other besseae I have seen.

The intensity of red is perfect. One of my employees described it as a color that is 'in your face'.. I'd have to say he is right! It is a color that can never be truly caught on camera. The flower size reaches between 10 and 11 cm at peak.

And that seed pod you see on the left... that's a re-make of Jason Fischer using a 4N Mem. Dick Clements. Can't wait!

Enjoy my favorite besseae!

robc3.jpg

robc2.jpg

Gosh Thats really something else

bet your over the moon with it -you guys are so lucky having the great choises of besseae- thanks for sharing such a wonderful plant
yep I guess you guess it's my favourite phrag :D
After seeing Heather's nice orange one I was able to get one it's
"Cajun spice "x 'mellow yellow' it.s got a Z on it so i think it originated from orchid zone hasn't flowered yet but soon i hope .:rollhappy: Couldn't put it in the same class as yours though - that is really something special

billie

SlipperFan said:
Wow!!! Great color, great shape! What would happen if you selfed it, Jason?

For the first time in 14 years (of trying), we have selfings of 'Rob's Choice'. The first few should bloom in 2007. We are going to flower them first to determine the quality and pricing. Quite exciting!

I'm in need of a new desktop background. Any chance you you have a larger resolution version of that first image? Or any other nice Rob's Choice shot, for that matter? I know I know, I hate being the guy that demands more shots, but I just can't help it. The color is too too nice!

kentuckiense said:
I'm in need of a new desktop background. Any chance you you have a larger resolution version of that first image? Or any other nice Rob's Choice shot, for that matter? I know I know, I hate being the guy that demands more shots, but I just can't help it. The color is too too nice!

Um...you aren't the only one who thought of that Zach...

Jason,

Will we see Creger walk into judging with it tomorrow in Chicago??? :)

-Ernie

Nope, it won't go in for judging. The only way I will have it judged is if there's a local show here in MN. It's just too valueable a plant to travel with. Plus Cathy is a smoker and there's NO WAY I'm letting that besseae go into a smokey car.

Eric.

Actually, the more I look at this photo the more I realize that this is the most color-correct photo I've ever been able to take of this flower!

Back