The growing areas MEGATHREAD!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Hey, I thought it may be fun.

Today, I finally got my stand wrapped with plastic. Finished product:

Sans flash:
img2251mediumsi9.jpg

With flash:
img2252mediumqi6.jpg

My desk is RIGHT beside the plants. Awesome!
img2253mediumyi8.jpg

Your turn!

Zach dude you're dorm-mates must think you're a FREAK!! You will definitely be having a visit from campus police this semester, I'll put money on it, or orchids on it. Haha looks nice. Marco, those are some mighty healthy-looking plants you have.

Zach,

Thats pretty cool! Is that a bed of CHC that they're on? Thats a good idea for maintaining humidity.

Do you have a little fan in there? I'm of the opinion that air movement is more important than humidity :)

Marco... my collection looked a lot like that a couple of years ago, in front of a window with supplimental lights. Then it started taking over the house :) Your plants look nice and healthy!

Matt

gore42 said:
Zach,

Thats pretty cool! Is that a bed of CHC that they're on? Thats a good idea for maintaining humidity.

Do you have a little fan in there? I'm of the opinion that air movement is more important than humidity :)
It's a bed of wet rounded gravel. The fan is mounted in the upper-right corner.

Ok here's the rest of the pictures. I hope you guys are on broadband :poke:

DSCN1266.jpg

DSCN1265.jpg

DSCN1264.jpg

DSCN1263.jpg

and heres 2 of my non orchid plants an african violet I grew from a leaf cutting from my moms plant. And a swiss cheese plant also from a cutting. I dig the hole in the swiss cheese plant. I also have a cutting of a hoya kerri somewhere on my grow table.

DSCN1268.jpg

oh hey there goes my deodorant! I was looking for that

Chris + Matt - Thanks, I'm kind of anal about maintaning my plants. I just got cleaning the leaves on most of them cause they got really dusty :eek: Matt, lol, this grow area would've expanded even more if was able to commandeer the other rooms of my house. When I get my own place I'm dedicating a room as a hobby/office room with a teeny little table for a computer. :poke:

Zach - Nice grow area. Definately looks like a great way to keep humidity high. I think I'll be getting visits from the cops to my light stay on until about 10:30 at night. My desk is right beside my plants too :)

Well here is my area before I put up my mounties. I use a 400 W MH, I have huge heavy duty bins with hoses in them that drain into a big blue keg bucket that I drain using the hoses in it out the door. I have also hung plastic on the walls for watering my mounties. See last photo. I used to use shelves with fluoros, but upgraded a bit... I really need to take some new photos.... My watering bins are huge purple ones built for car part storage and shipping....
setup1.jpg

setup3.jpg

setup4.jpg

And sort of now how it looks...
bk2.jpg

and last but not least.... Hey how did that get in there?
fairrieanum1.jpg

Hotness.jpg

First Attempt - Work in Progress

This is my new growing area. Actually my "growing area" is practically my whole apartment! Plants are everywhere. Just how I like it! :) Still lots to do, windows to clean, etc. But it's a start.

Windows are all south facing, and though they are smallish, there are also two skylights above. One upstairs, one down. It will take some tweaking, but high light plants are at least getting some sunshine today. Actually, everyone's gotten some throughout the day.

I will be setting up supplemental lights. My old mercury vapor ones, some CFLs, and eventually, when I get the light rail, a 400W metal halide.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

img0516mb5.jpg

img0517yf8.jpg

img0515qu3.jpg

i love how you set up a good majority of your plants in one whole row below those windows. looks so clean.

I think you shold put a shelving unit between the two windows, in the first picture, about the first shelf that spans from window to window

is there a *shame* icon? I will get that light rail out sometime, Heather. I just haven't had a chance to dig it out yet... Too much to do indoors and out with a new baby coming.

Pictures of my 'growing area' on my website. It isn't much...

littlefrog said:
is there a *shame* icon? I will get that light rail out sometime, Heather. I just haven't had a chance to dig it out yet... Too much to do indoors and out with a new baby coming.

Pictures of my 'growing area' on my website. It isn't much...

Rob, don't worry at all, whenever you get around to it is just fine. I am only just now getting moved in, so I would have had no use for it until now anyways. Plus, I have to figure out how to hang it safely. :)

Marco - I thought about doing that with shelves. I'm just not so enamoured of growing on shelves because, inevitably, the top shelves get the best light. We'll see how things progress though...I'm open to the idea. :)

Latest posts

Back