the genus cypripedium = NOT a monophyletic clade?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Last night I was flipping through Lucille McCook's 1989 PhD dissertation on the systematics of the genus Phragmipedium and I stumbled upon a few paragraphs (and a phylogenetic tree) that suggests that Cypripedium is paraphyletic, with the confounding species being C. irapeanum(and C. molle and C. dickensonianum, presumably). I don't recall any mention of Cypripedium not being monophyletic in Cribb's monograph. Is this a since-resolved issue?

kentuckiense said:
Last night I was flipping through Lucille McCook's 1989 PhD dissertation on the systematics of the genus Phragmipedium and I stumbled upon a few paragraphs (and a phylogenetic tree) that suggests that Cypripedium is paraphyletic, with the confounding species being C. irapeanum(and C. molle and C. dickensonianum, presumably). I don't recall any mention of Cypripedium not being monophyletic in Cribb's monograph. Is this a since-resolved issue?

This is very interesting.

But it would be more interesting if I knew what "paraphyletic" and "monophyletic" means. lol :poke:

Where does she believe irapeanum came from? Selenipedium?
I'd have to read her dissertation and see what evidence she provides to back up her hypothesis to make a fair comment.

Since the ancestors are extinct and left nothing but their decendents, it is very difficult to say if they or any orchid genus is monophyletic. DNA has proven to be misleading, so until some more advancements come along I would say it is all a matter of opinion. Just look at the genus Criosanthes...

Jon
________
Alaska Dispensaries

Last edited:
Selenepidium, C. irapeanum, and Phrag/Paph combined are shown as sister clades all coming out of Cypripedium.

However, on a second reading of the section, it's a morphological analysis and not a genetic one.

So in short, I'm an idiot. False alarm, I guess.

Latest posts

Back