The Ever Controversial Cattleya walkeriana ‘Pendentive’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve seen this blog... and others
Ive never been able to get this link to work so I haven’t read this.

The controversy still remains because it’s not a fact that walkeriana only bloom on a growth coming from the rhizome. It’s also not a fact that walkeriana only have one leaf per pseudobulb.
See : The species Cattleya walkeriana Gardn. Cattleya loddigesii Lindl. and Cattleya x dolosa Rchb. f. by Delfina de Araujo.
Quote: “
The buds arise from a floral atrophied leafless pseudobulb, contrary to the other species of Cattleya which have their flowers arising from the normal pseudobulbs, in general vigorous and with leaves. The plants of Cattleya walkeriana type, as well as the variety princeps, eventually alternate this kind of blooming with the ordinary kind, it means, from a normal pseudobulb with leaves.

As far as I know the AOS has not changed the awards for ‘Pendentive’ or any others walkeriana except ‘Kenny’. And, with regards to ‘Kenny’ I was told by a very reliable source that 2018 or 2019 the Japanese did new genetic testing on ‘Kenny’. The results put ‘Kenny’ squarely back is as a pure walkeriana. I haven’t been able to find the paper yet but I’m searching for it.

As a side note... I have about 60 walkeriana. This last summer I had them all outside. I watered everyday because it was hot and breezy. Several of my plants that had always produced pseudobulbs with one leaf produced pseudobulbs with two leaves. I suspect that if water was plentiful when a walkeriana is about to produce a bloom growth it might produce a leaf there also.

So for now I’m going with the old adage “If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it must be a duck” lol

Latest posts

Back