The Bog 2 B

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

Here's the beginning of new bog garden started on Friday May 13th! The fencing & gate run from the corner of the house to the corner of the GH. It is on the north side of the house but far enough away to get full sun. The fir tree is on the north side of the garden which should offer a break from northly winter winds, should be a perfect location.
002-11.jpg

Wondering why the photo is hazy? 3 days of upper 80's with humidity as high and it wasn't even the middle of May!
Here's a view from my dog agility area.
005-5.jpg

Here's the yuck that needs to be removed-
003-11.jpg

Sat. & Sun. daytime highs were the upper 40's.
Things are moving along better than I thought, it's Monday the 16th, very windy but sunny & mid 60's. It's pretty empty & I've backed filled 2 areas. It started out 5ft diameter round & I'm changing it to a kidney shape so I can reach plants & weed when needed.
boggarden003.jpg
boggarden004.jpg
boggarden002.jpg
boggarden005.jpg

The fir tree has been trimmed, I'm ready to start adding the sand/peat and continue backfilling as I go....
to be continued ....

A bit more progress today Wed., May18th. Cut back old liner, put down new liner, drilled about 15 bottom holes. Mixed 3 batches of sand/peat, did a little backfilling & drilled first level of side holes. Still not much to look at. :p
boggarden001-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More progress today! Finished the backfill, the bog got bigger, it's now 3 leaf clover shape, trimmed liner & started some edging.
boggarden001.jpg

Just when I thought I was gonna quit, the mail lady comes, I expected a package from Tennis ......
boggarden002-1.jpg

Sarracenias - alata, leuco 'Titan', Ladies In Waiting, Mardi Gras rubra gulfensis alba, Maroon, Doodle Bug & Lady Bug.
Sundews - Marston Dragon & filiformis. Ping Moctuzumae.
Now the fun begins!

It's Sunday ... the day of rest .... in my dreams! It was a bit slow going at 90 degrees, nice westerly winds & lowish humidity. Was hoping I'd finish, have to get one more bale of peat to finish it off. I have a bit of rebuilding/raising the wall on the far right side. We also worked at putting up a gutter on that side of the house, so hopefully there's plenty of rainwater.
boggarden001-2.jpg

Where'd you get the cp's from???
ebay - MK Farms, MS., seems I was a bit late on most of the recommended nurseries. This gal has been doing cps for 10 years & she obviously had ones that I wanted. The plants were better than the photos & in most cases bigger, I'm quite satisfied with what I got. I tried to be selective in picking plants that were appropriate for my zone (5) although I think due to the location of the bog I could be up a a zone??? Time will tell!

Great progress,Rose! Looks like your bog will be sensational!! Very cool plants,too!!
Please keep us updated!

Rose, those plants are plenty big. In time you will have to be thinning them out, so I'd give them room to grow. They should be OK in your climate. If you want to you can cover the bog in winter with a sheet and put a thick layer of leaves over the top - that will help. I wouldn't be too concerned though, folks have successfully grown Sarracenia from the southeast US clear up into New England.

Have fun!

It's done!

Pretty much done, have a couple more plants I'd like to get, now to be patient & let it grow!
bogfrillymulti028.jpg

Back