the best Phrag Alfredo Manrique

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you should tell glen he should give it to me.
(if you do, i have a feeling he'll tell you to tell me where to put it...)
so very nice, though....

RIGHT RON

WE ALL HOPE TO SEE POSTED THAT HCC IN THIS FORUM. IS IT POSIBLE.
MR ALFREDO MANRIQUE IS VERY PLEASED ALSO WITH THIS HYBRID, SHOWING THIS VARIABLITILY IN COLOR. HE Also has a good number of sedlings but is palning to do a remake...
lets wait...
THANK YOU SO MUCH RON FOR SHARING.
I UNDERSTAND HAROLD K HAS AN AWARDED CLONE ALSO THAT WILL BE PUBLISHED IN THE DIGEST WITH AN ARTICLE OF ALFREDO.
AGAIN, LETS WAIT...

Ron-NY
As an interesting aside. Most likely most, if not all, of the Phrag Walter Schomburgs from the first batch of flasks released by Fritz Schomburg are full polyploid 4N's. The reason is Fritz has a 4N Eric Young, and I sold him the 4N clone Andean Fire 'Michelle Lee' AM/AOS, which he used. The clone Andean Fire 'Michelle Lee' AM/AOS was verified as a probable 4N by guard cell measurements and by its track record as a breeder.

So when 2 clones that are 4N are crossed, the progeny should be mostly 4N. Some of the better Walter Schomburg clones I have seen have been really smooth heavy textured and large flowers. All support the supposition of polyploidy. Most clones that I have tried to set seed with formed seed readily and showed a fair amount of germination, another good sign.

So if Glen Decker or Alfredo Manrique used one of those Walter Schomburgs, then the seedlings of this cross, Phrag Alfredo Manrique will likely be triploids, 3N. Not an ideal situation for breeding on, but when a triploid does breed, the progeny will be an assortment of diploids and a few tetraploids. Those few tetraploids will be great, and possibly be fertile amphidiploids (a useful version of 4N). Onward with the March toward the Phrag with a flower that is as large as a Cattleya and as round as a Phalaenopsis and as red as a Fire Engine.

Leo

Leo, I was not aware of this. I will check with Glen, he would know, for I believe the Walter Schomberg pollen came from one of his plants.

Isaias, I sent a link to this thread to Alfredo so he could see the pictures.
I don't have a picture of the plant that you were asking of a pic of. I will see if Glen can get it to me and I will then forward it to you. I have not forgotten.

The Pk at the WOC was fairly purple, If someone put a besseae x fischeri or schlimii with it or Pk x fischerii we may get purple. :D
my best hope for a purple flower, on the crosses already made, is on the cross with this Sedenii. Unfortunately, not many seedlings came from the cross though. :(

Sedenii.jpg

"""...The Pk at the WOC was fairly purple, If someone put a besseae x fischeri or schlimii with it or Pk x fischerii we may get purple. ..."""

ERIC
I do not remember the name of the crosse but Peruflora was showing at the WOC/Miami a picture of the PINK PK x Phrag schlimii...

Also, it was registered by Glen the cross PK X Hanne Popow and we are remaking again with Alfredo this cross named Phrag Mem Mariza Rolando after my late wife.

PK x Barbara LeAnn is growing already in flask and we have used a very white Phrag fisherii.

My point is we are looking for the pinks and purples big, round and flat flowers. Yes, we are indeed...

I remember the coment of Mr Terry Root about waiting for the white Phrag kovachii. No, he said, what we needed is color, straight PK already has it and it is PURPLE...
So the plants and hybrids are coming... it is just a matter of time.

Have a nice week and ...lets wait...

RON

You see why we need that picture of Phrag Mem Mariza...???
Please try to do your best to get that pic...
I will also deeply appreciate to have it

Thank you Ron you know why it is very important for me. Appreciate it.
Alfredo just called and told me he actually has the clon of Phrag Walter Schomburg ( this was Fritz´s grandfather) and that he used that particular plants as the mother pod plant to get the seeds of Phrag Alfredo Manrique. He also beleiuve that porbably most of those seedlings are not tetraploids, perhaps only some.

Isaias, I have the Pk x schlimii, and glen said the Pk x Hanne Popow did not produce enough seedlings to release yet. I'm waiting but I don't do that well. :p

Eric,
Can you post a good pict of that PK x schlimii? Is it also pink?
It is true that the Phrag Mem Mariza Rolando never produced good numbers of seeds. We will see this time. I have a good Hanne Popov from carter and Holmes "Strawberry Parfait", and Alfredo`s PK are just opening this past weekend. More than 100 buds coming for the rest of this blooming season. Can you imagine the number of posibilities????

Cool. Congrats to Glen. My Phrag. Randy MacDonald flowered and it is purplish. I got it from Glen, I think :confused:, so he should have one to make a purple cross. :D Does anyone know a way I can find the names of various colors? My vocabulary is deficient when I need to describe flower colors. :(

You can buy a horticultural color chart I believe the AOS carries it. or Crayolas 64 box ;)
Not enough colors in the crayola box. I'm hoping there is a color chart online w/ enough colors to make educated descriptions. I took one photo today, I'll try more later.

Latest posts

Back