the best Phrag Alfredo Manrique

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
I posted one a couple of weeks ago and this one, of Glen's, is even better. The red intensity is wonderful. The flower just opened and may expand more but at this point the petal span is 5 1/2 inches with a 1 1/2 inch width. The plant has a 2' leaf span and the spike is about 18" tall.

P3080004.jpg

here is the one from a couple of weeks ago for comparison

Alfredomanrique.jpg

Interesting, our region just gave an HCC/AOS to this hybrid at last month's Long Beach judging. The color was actually a medium vermillion red color, almost coral. It was not intense at all but soft.
Peter.

those are great flowers!! intriguing for me is that, whereas the 1rst flowering had still some PK coloring?!, the 2nd is really red!! Jean

Wow! That's amazing!

I feel like little of the Pk is showing through. It's gorgeous no doubt but I'm a little surprised that so far in the hybrids there has been no purple and the flowers seem to hold really well (a la besseae) instead of flopping down as the Pk tend to do.

Why do you all think that's happening?

Kelly, the flower nods a bit but for the pic the flower had been staked. You can see the stake in the one I posted a few weeks ago but I did a stake with florist wire for this one and it is hidden behind the spike in the photo.

This cross has been fairly variable. I have seen from pale to this dark red. The pouches have been variable in shape too. The flowers have held themselves differently on different plants as well. There have been a few I have considered dogs but most have been fairly nice. I think the variability has to do with this hybrid containing 4 different species.
Walter Schomburg = Eric Young x Andean Fire.
Eric Young = besseae x longifolium
Andean Fire = besseae x lindleyanum
So, we are dealing with kovachii, besseae, longifolium and lindleyanum genes combining differently in each plant.

As for kovachii being a purple flower, it truely isn't. The color variance we have seen in pictures is mostly due to the lighting and camera settings. I have seen a pic of a dark purple one, It is my understanding that there were none that were really that color.

I am sure we will see many more beautiful ones as time goes on. These are also first bloom plants, I am looking forward to seeing the second blooming on some of these. As soon as kovachii comes into blooms, I hope that some of these will be crossed back to it.

Peter, I would love to see a pic of the one that got an HCC. I wish I subscribed to Awards Quarterly.

It has been very neat to have been able to see these come into bloom! I am looking forward to seeing some of the other crosses bloom. I am also looking forward to seeing future breeding results.

Latest posts

Back