the 2008 SOOS valentines show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
:clap:Thanks Nick - there are PLENTY of good photos! That dend was well deserving - what a specimen!

Hi Nick,

I have a tought question for you... Do you know who owns these displays?

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

I have seen pictures of people making them in Europe, but never in North America.

I would very much like to make one of my own, but don't know where to get the supplies in Canada. any help getting in touch with this person would be appreciated.

thanks!

Kyle

hi kyle,

the displays are all put together by individuals or as a group (eg. the SOOS with flowers from the members).

i was actually very lucky to be able to meet the owner of that actually display. he made it all himself; a young lad in his 20s actually. he lives is from thornhill. the case is just plexiglass that he rolled and anchored to a metal strip. the display itself is a sealled water __(something)__. if u could, i could try emailing the SOOS and see if they could release his info for ya

They are all beautiful but I especially like the displays with the old wood in them.

I also would love info on that pole. What is the log they are mounted on, it almost looks like it is hollow? Is it?

Grandma, they are clay pipes that are filled with water. Think terra cotta pot or clay pot. The clay absorbes water and the outside is damp/moist and most importantly cool. People in Europe use them to grow lepanthes and other small pleuros, but that is the first one I've seen in North america. It looks perfect.

The problem has been that apparently, in North American it was very difficult to find the right pipes. After seeing this I did some internet searchid and came accross a company called superior clay that makes a few products that might work. The best thing about them is they ahve distrbuters all over North America, including in my city.

The products that I am going to try are clay wine holders and clay chimeny liners. I will use silicon and a tile to seal the bottom.

I was told in Europe that before you attach plants to the pipe, make sure you have moss growing on the pipe.

any more info about this exhibt would be appreciated.

Kyle

PS if you search 'nano viv' on Orchid Source Forum you'll get lots more pictures and details about these.

Latest posts

Back