Thaianums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
I d like to show you my thaianums which have flowered during summer:

First is a typical one. As far as i know first generetion propagated from wild plants. There are two individuals in the same pot. When the plant photo was taken the one plant was in low bud.

IMG_20210525_154317_1.jpg
IMG_20210525_154230_1_1.jpg
IMG_20210525_154034_1_1.jpg
The flower of the second plant about 4 weeks later:

IMG_20210726_110811_1~2.jpg

The next thaianum i got from Popow who imported it from a breeder from Thailand. I think they are line breeded for some generetion. When i got it i had some doubts about its purity, because of its long leaves. The new growth which grew under my conditions were much narrower. First picture showes the plant last year. You see the long leaves.

IMG_20200805_120310_6~2.jpg

Next compares the plants with the plant showen above. You can See the new growth from this year which are really different to that from last year.
IMG_20210709_142830_1.jpg
The floweres of the two plants:
IMG_20200805_120209_4~3.jpg
IMG_20210709_143031_1.jpg
The follow one i got from a kind member. He had always some doubts If they are pure thaianum. One pic of Last year one from this year. I now think they are not pure. Whats your opinion?

IMG_20200612_122846_3.jpg
Last Pics See next post

I have a compot of this species from Thailand and all plants have their leaves short and round in proportion. The color is dark with whiter spots. Heres one of the biggest that just flowered.20210919_170509.jpg

Martin, WoW what a great display. đź‘Ś
As to the long leaves it seems to me that many Brachys which Popow imports and sells have this feature. Maybe it's a result of the growing conditions and the feeding in their home nursery whereever ist has been. Mine P. godefroyae produce also shorter leaves under my conditions with, I think, more light and different feeding.
The last flowers look different but hard to say if it is another type of P. thaianum or a hybrid ??

The many thainaums I have seen have variable leaves from mini to longer like the ones here.

That last flower might be tainted with some niveum? The reason is that I have never seen a thainaum with spots spread across the petals, a characteristic of niveum hybrids. That coupled with the extra wide dorsal might be niveum traits.

The many thainaums I have seen have variable leaves from mini to longer like the ones here.

That last flower might be tainted with some niveum? The reason is that I have never seen a thainaum with spots spread across the petals, a characteristic of niveum hybrids. That coupled with the extra wide dorsal might be niveum traits.

agree with the niveum-hypothesis

Thanks for your kind comments!

I thought on godefroyae as ancestor in the lineage, because flower stem is to short , especially in this year blooming...
I remember that I saw similar plants on Sam s site, labeled as thaianum.

I have one of Sam’s Thaianum-Niveum hybrids,
I put a pic on ST of its flower, a year or so ago. I’ll see if I can find it.
Thanks for sharing! I think of mine isnt pure its not a primary but perhaps primary x thaianum.

All nice. I thought thaianum had green markings on the staminode. Thanks for sharing.
I made the observation that they start blooming with green stami and then turn to yellow. You can also see in insitu Pics flowers with both yellow and green stami.

Latest posts

Back