Terrasorb?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbeck

Reaction score
Has anybody been using terrasorb in their potting mix and, If so, do you have any recommendations, caveats, etc.? Thanks for any information.

Wilson

Is this the terra cotta particles used in bonsai & soiless water gardening pots? I'm familar with Terragrin(sp?). Didn't think about using it in a mix with orchids, but I don't see why not :confused:. Good post

This stuff is a "hydrogel" that takes up large quantities of water, then releases it slowly. It comes as small dry granules. I had purchased some orchids from Windy Hill and noticed several small rubbery clear bits in the potting mix when I repotted them. I asked Marilyn LeDoux about it and she told me she was trying the stuff in an attempt to prolong the interval between waterings. I got the impression that she thought it might be useful, so I bought some from Gardener's Supply. Here's a link for the stuff: http://www.gardeners.com/Terra-Sorb...ghtProofing,14091,default,cp.html?SC=XNET8019

The directions call for one teaspoon of the stuff in a gallon of potting mix, not much. Marilyn's orchids were doing very nicely with it in there.

Interesting. I use it in my mud mixes for hoyas - lots of perlite, peat, and some terrasorb or equivalent. That means it's also in my phrag mud mix. I've also been eyeing it as an ingredient for seedling mixes.

Latest posts

Back