Ten Shin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago Chad

Reaction score
I am looking to place a large preorder with Matt at Ten Shin. I have bought plants from him in the past and was satisfied with them. Can anyone tell me their experience making a large preorder with them? The order will not include flasks, only paphs.

Same here. I'm pretty happy with my small order (<$300) from last year. I placed another pre-order for Shore Orchid Festival this year. The best part is that he responds email quickly, and it's easy to communicate with. He recommended to go with larger size plants, but I'm happy with the smaller ones. His smallest size plants (A-size) are pretty small, probably around 1 year (or less) out of flask. So if you don't want to wait for a while, it is better to go with bigger size plants. They took quite a while to get accustomed to my environment, but they are finally starting to move faster after 10 months or so. I killed only 1 so far.

Does anyone know there shipping and handling costs per plant this year for the US? It was one detail left out in the emails with Matt.

And yes, he responds very quickly. If there is a lack of dialogue, I am already concerned.

Ten Shin will be attending the Redland Show in May. Have you discussed having him mail your shipment from Miami? It should save you significantly on shipping and documentation.

I will be picking them up personally in Chicago, in Sept. I assume there is a handling charge of some kind, even if I pick them up.

PM NY Eric as he did an order last year.

I was happy with the quality of the 2 small seedlings i got but in the end they didn't establish after the import and died a few months later. But that is a standard risk when you import, so either order larger size plants or order as many seedlings as possible to mitigate that risk.

since they are coming back soon i might try again.

Chad, if you are picking them up at a show, he won't charge any handling fee. I got mine shipped after he brought them into a show, and his shipping charge was basically the cost of USPS.

We put together a large order last year; there were a lot of unusual or commonly not-available hybrids. Because the seedlings were so small some did not survive, I would recommend Ten-Shin and also that you get the largest size in the catalog. Shipping is minimal. PM me if you want more info.

I got 3 gigantifoliums in Eric's order, approx. 5-6 inch span. They're all do fine. They wouldn't send the anitums because they were not doing good for them. So they are honest in that regard.

Latest posts

Back