Temperature Tolerance of Phrags + water question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Garrie

Am I going to have a problem if I try to keep Phrags out doors in Louisiana when temps can get in the 90's. Granted they would be either in a GH with air circulation or in shade. But if high temps coupled with high humidity are detremental to them I could keep them in doors in AC. I am also considering a reverse osmosis system for my GH, since I know my tap water has high iron and who knows what else, it seems that would be the best approach. Any recommendation about, it it a wise move? or would collecting rain water be as good, not as good? we get lots and lots of rain. garrie

one more thing, I acquire shredded coco fiber in bulk, to be used with potting soil. Can some of this be used on Paphs and Phrags along with the standard items of bark etc. or will the fine nature of this shreded fiber hold to much moisture?

Garrie,
1. Temperature
90s are no problem for phrags.
2. Exposure
Shade? I would go for a range with your 12 plants.
Reason why is to find out what is best in your
environment in stimulating flower production.
Too much shade and you won't get adequate or any
flowering-this is a problem that I have and am even
contemplating moving them outdoors into partial
direct sun (slowly) in late Spring.
I recommend using a light meter and placing your
plants so that they will receive at least 1800 ft candles,
though I feel that up to 2200 is ok but it really depends
on where you are (angle of sun's exposure) and the
kind of watering you do, as watering and humidity play
a role in how the plant can handle more exposure.
3. Water
I use r/o water because it is the most easiest to control
as far as what you are supplying the plants at a cost
that is affordable. Rain is generally thought of as pure
but it falls through a sky that may be laden with
particulates that may modify the pH or other qualities
of the water (acid rain is an example) so for your area ?
Another factor is how you plan to collect the rain, roof
run off??

Garrie,
Coco fiber is ok for phrags but prob too much for paphs.
BUT as an element in a blended soil mix its impact would
depend upon the percentage of the mix that it constitutes. For phrags which tend to like moisture at their roots you may want to blend coarse perlite, bark and the coco fiber in equal percentages, and maybe toss in some coco chunks if you have some.
For paphs I would use it as a topping cover over a bottom fill of gravel or coarse perlite or styrafoam chips or coco chunks and only as a minor ingredient in the paphs mix.
It is a matter of what else you want in your blend and for paphs there is a number of possibilities!

There are lot's of threads here about coco-husk and other media for potting plants. I grow my phrags in Hydroponic type conditions except I use mixed and organic media. That would work in high temps because the water is circulating around the roots. [BTW, personally I love CHC in mixes] :)

My friend collects water off his greenhouse roof for his plants. It has never been a problem. He does check the PH and adjusts it for fertilizing purposes.

In my experience, Phrags want sun, if you acclimate them step wise to it. They will take 4000 ft candles if they have good air movement. In summer in the Chicago area, I put my Phrags outside in trays of water on benches with no shade cloth. They get at least 6 hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight a day. Morning to early afternoon direct sun. If you keep your Phrags wet, water quality is not an issue. Iron is a needed micro-nutrient, your municiple water should be no problem. If you keep your Phrags wet, with air movement, 90s are no problem, put them in shade for when the temps hit the 100's.

Coconut should be okay, the Hawaii growers use it very successfully for Phrags.
Leo

I don't think you can have low humidty in the south during the summer. I would expect it to be allot dryer in the house with the AC on. But swamp coolers do work in southern green houses, and can really take the edge off the heat, and provide even more humidtiy with lots of air current.

Back