Tell me about my Paph. rothschildianum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought this 'roth' in Oct 2014 (8 months ago); it was sold to me as a division of a bloom-sized plant (Charles E. x Borneo). It was said to have come from Golden Gate Orchids in SF. I paid US $100 for it.

Here it is behind my other slipper orchids.

I have counted around 8 growths of various sizes. New leaves poking out of all of them.

So far, different opinions I have received here and there have suggested that this is not a very nice first roth to own as it is allegedly slow-growing and reluctant to bloom.

Questions:

1. Was I overcharged?

2. Does it look healthy? It seems quite small to me based on other photos of roths.

3. Here is the oldest growth. Is there any indication that it will/won't bloom, or is it just a waiting game?

Many newbie thanks for looking and even more thanks for a comment.

this can happen with paphs of any type...runts that can never reach a good size before they put their energy into lateral growths. how warm do you grow it?

This is a very old cross, and has reputation of being difficult to flower.

I would grow this cross in warm bright condition year round and hope it flowers!

normally I would say 15 celsius is fine for a roth at night but you may want to grow it a little warmer and give it supplemental light in the winter

yes the older clones can be slower growing and more reluctant to bloom, but there are actually many very nice roths from this cross. i don't think you were overcharged but of course you will have to see the flower quality. there is nothing to indicated it is a "runt" but sometimes that is a possibility...it does look ready to flower.

if it is ready to flower then perhaps try a two week cold snap..down to 52 degrees (F) followed by a great deal of light or is it a great deal of light with the cold snap..i forget

Latest posts

Back