Team paph or phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is just something fun to discuss. Down below are some questions that you can answer. Answer as long or as little as you want and post photos if it relates.
1. Are you team paph or phrag (post an image of one you bloomed recently)
2. Are you team rothschildianum or sanderianum ( post an image if you bloomed one or tell a story why you like it better)
3. Are you team kovachii or humboldtii ( kovachii will probably win this one lol)

1. Team Paph, Phrags are cheating. They grow so fast it's like playing on easy mode with a game shark 😂
My newest flowers of each, an ugly Hilo Bald Eagle and a Phrag Devil Fire.
20230524_164851.jpg
20230424_175108.jpg

2. Roths, hands down. I love them both but roths is objectively the nicer flower, with better balance and more value in breeding. Roths enhances anything you cross it to while breeding with sanderianum is always a compromise between getting those long petals and wrecking the form of the rest of the flower.

A recent roths, my last sanderianum bloom, and my best PEoY:

20230325_150552.jpg
received_163644445056073.jpeg
received_2348310738825773.jpeg

3. Humboltii wins by default, my greenhouse is too warm for kovachii but the long petaled Phrags do well enough.

Phrag wallisii:

FB_IMG_1685525532053.jpg

Hello everyone. This is just something fun to discuss. Down below are some questions that you can answer. Answer as long or as little as you want and post photos if it relates.
2. Are you team rothschildianum or sanderianum ( post an image if you bloomed one or tell a story why you like it better)
3. Are you team kovachii or humboldtii ( kovachii will probably win this one lol)
Are you trying to start a brawl?!

1. Paphs hands down, phrags are a pain to grow for me especially here in sunny hot SoCal. I have an Lyneigh Koopowitz in bloom right now.
2. Sanderianum hands down again, despite being a pain to grow. I'm not a fan of how bulky roth is as a flower, but it is objectively better as a breeding plant. Sanderianum is more wispy and elegant.
3. Humboldtii by a narrow margin. I love both but humboldtii types are more striking to me in person and can actually grow under my conditions. I've bloomed the 'Fortuna' clone before and it is stunning. I'll try again soon.

1. Team Paphs. Why would you like a plant that drops flowers before putting on the 2nd? 😅
2. Team sanderianum. Just always been my thing, Long Live the Queen!
Though I have a meh roth picture to post, decent size but only 2 flowers and they didn't agree on facing the same direction.
3. Kovachii but need to be creative in growing them in my hot/dry conditions (I got a compot you can see in the background of the roth picture).

Attachments

• 20230522_192146.jpg
    20230522_192146.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
1. Team Paphs. Why would you like a plant that drops flowers before putting on the 2nd? 😅
2. Team sanderianum. Just always been my thing, Long Live the Queen!
Though I have a meh roth picture to post, decent size but only 2 flowers and they didn't agree on facing the same direction.
3. Kovachii but need to be creative in growing them in my hot/dry conditions (I got a compot you can see in the background of the roth picture).
The petals on that roth are supppppper straight. Mine curl at the end and have a slight droop. Good job

I’m coming back as Team Phrag but we will see how it goes. I’m a little concerned about how cool I can keep my kitchen…

Team roth, just prefer it. Also less of a pain to grow.
Team kovachii for the breeding traits but humboldtii for looks.
I don't want to deviate from the main thread topic, but if you live in a dry area, I might have a solution for keeping the cool types happy: Zeer pots

I made one myself and so far the kovachii are doing good. I can post more when I am more confident in the results.

Started to think about it and I should probably answer this myself!!!
1. Team paph: phrags absolutely hate me and I have tried to grow them on multiple occasions.
2. Team sanderianum: this is a really hard one to choose but you can't go wrong with a good sandy.
3. Team humboldtii: I have both and the kovachii is a bit weird, I'm not sure if it likes me or not. The humboldtii is just to die for and seems to be doing OK in my conditions: hasn't bloomed but with my luck it will die randomly one of these days ;)
Feel good image that i discovered today
20230602_191309.jpg

1. Team paph. I don't have any phrags because they look way too large for the space I have, and so far all my paphs are a much more manageable size. I bought a delenatii in spike, and it finally bloomed
IMG_20230602_084929_008.jpg

2. Neither 🤣 I don't really like the look of the Roths and similar paphs. I prefer the fluffy round paph types, like the delenatii above

3. Probably kovachii

1. Team Paph (see my black leucos posts under judging section)

2. Sanderianums… very graceful and surreal. How’s and why’s of evolution surround the mystic of this species. Plus I grew up in its backyard (closer than roths but less than stonei).

3. Humboltii … I love long petals (see my post on warscewiczianum/humboltii ‘Medusa’ and you can see why)

1. Team Paph! My barbatum, ( pic below) still has another bud coming
2. rothchildianum as I have a complex hybrid with a spike, I’ve never grown either so we will see!
3. kovachii, also have a primary hybrid so growing well.

Attachments

• IMG_6677.jpeg
    IMG_6677.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Team Phrag! I started with a wide variety of orchids. Slowly, over the years, I have not replacing losses with only Paths or Phrags. Now, I am not purchasing any new Paths. I prefer both the look and behavior of most Phrags. Here are a few.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC3660 Phrag. Stairway to Heaven.jpg
    _DSC3660 Phrag. Stairway to Heaven.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC5785Acker's Beauty.jpg
    _DSC5785Acker's Beauty.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC8368 Acker's Flare (Jason Fischer X Beauport).jpg
    _DSC8368 Acker's Flare (Jason Fischer X Beauport).jpg
    868.3 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC6304 Phrag. Bel Croute.jpg
    _DSC6304 Phrag. Bel Croute.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 0
1. Team Paph, for me, the bigger variety in shapes and color forms
2. Roth, for having the descency to grow up instead always trying to grow horizontally
3. Sorry... none of the above... besseae or longifolium, for have albino forms
and here is my 'feel good' roots picture ;-) roots.jpg

1. Paphs hands down, phrags are a pain to grow for me especially here in sunny hot SoCal. I have an Lyneigh Koopowitz in bloom right now.
2. Sanderianum hands down again, despite being a pain to grow. I'm not a fan of how bulky roth is as a flower, but it is objectively better as a breeding plant. Sanderianum is more wispy and elegant.
3. Humboldtii by a narrow margin. I love both but humboldtii types are more striking to me in person and can actually grow under my conditions. I've bloomed the 'Fortuna' clone before and it is stunning. I'll try again soon.
There are no clones of Fortuna only division of. You got a blooming size seedling of Fortuna selfings.

Latest posts

Back