Team paph or phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been mulling my answer for a few months now.
I am firmly on the Paph. rothschildianum team. Frankly anything Roth is what I buy. I have traded off/given away about 25 assorted Phrags. After three years underlights, not many are blooming. I have kept about 15 Phrags that are smaller like besseae and Jason Fischer. The extra space has been turned over to colorful bifoliate Cattleyas.
So if you grow and fail to bloom, out you go to make more room!! Yes, I know it rhymes!!! Everyone needs to be silly now and then.
1691966904341.png

I have been mulling my answer for a few months now.
I am firmly on the Paph. rothschildianum team. Frankly anything Roth is what I buy. I have traded off/given away about 25 assorted Phrags. After three years underlights, not many are blooming. I have kept about 15 Phrags that are smaller like besseae and Jason Fischer. The extra space has been turned over to colorful bifoliate Cattleyas.
So if you grow and fail to bloom, out you go to make more room!! Yes, I know it rhymes!!! Everyone needs to be silly now and then.
View attachment 42263
I gave mine 18 hours of LEDs thru out the year n seems to have good success for phrags

Hello everyone. This is just something fun to discuss. Down below are some questions that you can answer. Answer as long or as little as you want and post photos if it relates.
1. Are you team paph or phrag (post an image of one you bloomed recently)
2. Are you team rothschildianum or sanderianum ( post an image if you bloomed one or tell a story why you like it better)
3. Are you team kovachii or humboldtii ( kovachii will probably win this one lol)
1) it’s close, but team Paph. here’s a Wössner Black Wings i flowered this summer!
5DDAC5E5-585E-4053-85BC-567E50E14013.jpeg
2) team rothschildianum. it took me awhile to come around to them (when i first got into orchids the long twisted petals of philippinense and sanderianum really captured my attention!), but after seeing the size and shape roth gives to its progeny’s dorsal sepal, i got hooked. i’ve yet to bloom one, but i’ve been growing a few seedlings and one of them seems to be putting out a sheath at the moment!
B4E08619-9815-4F4C-BF69-F2215E40622E.jpeg
3) team kovachii. i haven’t had much luck with the caudatum-type Phrags, and i hope to crack the code with them eventually, so kovachii wins out (for now lol). here’s a pic of my first kovachii hybrid to bloom under my care— Fritz Schomburg!
3645DDD5-FA76-4F63-BB06-DDA7D38F0B28.jpeg

1) it’s close, but team Paph. here’s a Wössner Black Wings i flowered this summer!
View attachment 42264
2) team rothschildianum. it took me awhile to come around to them (when i first got into orchids the long twisted petals of philippinense and sanderianum really captured my attention!), but after seeing the size and shape roth gives to its progeny’s dorsal sepal, i got hooked. i’ve yet to bloom one, but i’ve been growing a few seedlings and one of them seems to be putting out a sheath at the moment!
View attachment 42265
3) team kovachii. i haven’t had much luck with the caudatum-type Phrags, and i hope to crack the code with them eventually, so kovachii wins out (for now lol). here’s a pic of my first kovachii hybrid to bloom under my care— Fritz Schomburg!
View attachment 42267
Not caudatum but have bloom many phrag Zapatilla de la Virgen this year. I have one in spike now. Easiest thing to bloom. My longest petals are 32 inches. Some of other recent blooms.

Attachments

• PXL_20230813_232547760.jpg
    PXL_20230813_232547760.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230813_220304985.jpg
    PXL_20230813_220304985.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230811_114101401.jpg
    PXL_20230811_114101401.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230809_123811912.jpg
    PXL_20230809_123811912.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230805_164018895.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230805_164018895.MP.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Fun!

1. Team paph probably, though phrags are easier to grow.
From a hybridizing perspective, phrags are a pain b/c they end up with dead end lines as a result of aneuploidy…which sucks the fun out of it a bit (and is why there aren’t many complex Phrag crosses).

2. Team sanderianum probably - but I’ve never grown and flowered either species on their own? Just got a flask of roths, so maybe I’ll flip on this in 7-10 years.

3. Team kovachii - the book a scent of a scandal helped bring forward the celebrity status to this plant for me. Though, an accidental blooming of one I bought as an hybrid also helped.

Fun!

From a hybridizing perspective, phrags are a pain b/c they end up with dead end lines as a result of aneuploidy…which sucks the fun out of it a bit (and is why there aren’t many complex Phrag crosses).

we!! need!! tetraploid phrag species!!

Fun!

2. Team sanderianum probably - but I’ve never grown and flowered either species on their own? Just got a flask of roths, so maybe I’ll flip on this in 7-10 years.

3. Team kovachii - the book a scent of a scandal helped bring forward the celebrity status to this plant for me. Though, an accidental blooming of one I bought as an hybrid also helped.

That purple is gorgeous on that phrag!!! You are very famous for your kovachii: pretty much the only person who goes in depth with the plant om you tube. I have on and the roots are doing great. However the leaves have imperfections that bother me. Does it mind if it gets hot temperatures because I plan on moving but may not be able to control temperature as much

That purple is gorgeous on that phrag!!! You are very famous for your kovachii: pretty much the only person who goes in depth with the plant om you tube. I have on and the roots are doing great. However the leaves have imperfections that bother me. Does it mind if it gets hot temperatures because I plan on moving but may not be able to control temperature as much
Given the general lack of people who have grown it well in warmer climates, I suspect that’s a limiting factor for sure. In my place if temps are up to 33C in the summer, the plant shows stress and gets chlorotic leaves. But sometimes you have to test it out to find out what works…and what doesn’t. I can say…the plant loathes acidity. I set mine back significantly when experimenting with pH. Nearly lost it entirely

Latest posts

Back