tea leaves in mix?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of tea? Some stuff might produce some nice antioxidants and bioflavinoids. I couldn't say how much or if this would be good over the long term.

Otherwise you might just be worrying about some humic acids (nothing different from using sphagnum moss).

You also run the risk of your orchids raising their pinkies while they drink and having to supply them with cucumber sandwiches.

did you say cucumber sandwhiches?

story-455b4e0d72334.jpg

Marco,
If you top dressing the orchids with tea leaves, you can do anytime during the day. But at night the variety has to be the type of tea that imbued with lotus petals. Otherwise your orchids will be up all night.:poke:
Actually, I know someone who recycles the tea leaves on his plants (not orchids though)

NYEric said:
Last night at dinner B. Popow told me in Vietnam there is a tea made of [jewel orchids] Aneoctochilus, they drink.

Actually in Chinese medicine, jewel orchids are good for your health. I don't remember what they are good for but I have seen people making jewel orchid wine. I have not yet tried it though. :)

Marco,

I think that the only advantage to putting tea in the mix would be that it would raise the acidity, and I think that fertilizer already does that pretty well. And, I suppose that if it were decomposed a bit, it could add some nutrients, but if you're already fertilizing, seems unnecessary. The caffeine will will some pests, too... don't know what it will do to the orchids.

BTW, Earl Grey has bergamot oil in it (though in small amounts) which is a citrus oil... might work like Neem. Or it might kill your plants :)

- Matt

Latest posts

Back