TDS numbers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcb

Reaction score
I've been collecting some TDS numbers over the last month. What do you all think?

Tap water - 50 - 70ppm TDS.

Fertilizer water - avg about 850ppm TDS. (25/75 MSU/K-lite)

Rain water (collected as free fall not run off) - 9 - 17ppm TDS.

And then one day, after about 2 inches of rain had fallen, I squeezed out spag that was in a pot, 132ppm TDS. (This was suprising as I've always been told that spag "holds" fertilizer salts.)

And at the same time, I set one of my Catts (potted in LECA) in a cup, allowed just enough more rain to fall to collect, and TDS was 98ppm TDS. I should have done this as it was first raining, but couldn't.

Do these make sense? - especially the water collected after rainfall from the pots - I am taking this as the rain does significantly flush the pots.

RCB are you reading TDS or conductivity?

The conductivity values are about 2X TDS so that's why it looks like your fert rate of 850 mg/L is high.

At 1/2 tsp of MSU or K lite /gal comes to conductivity of about 850 uS/cm. So are you using a full Tsp/gal?

Considering the moss got hit with 2 inches of rain it seems to be holding more TDS than your inter materials. It's still about 10X stronger than the rain water.

What I think is more suprising is the Leca is not that much different. The Leca result indicates that it is also concentrating salts. But which one I can't tell from basic conductivity.

I've been collecting some TDS numbers over the last month. What do you all think?

Tap water - 50 - 70ppm TDS.

Fertilizer water - avg about 850ppm TDS. (25/75 MSU/K-lite)

Rain water (collected as free fall not run off) - 9 - 17ppm TDS.

And then one day, after about 2 inches of rain had fallen, I squeezed out spag that was in a pot, 132ppm TDS. (This was suprising as I've always been told that spag "holds" fertilizer salts.)

It is holding salts otherwise after 2inches of rain the reading would be the same as rain water....less than 20

And at the same time, I set one of my Catts (potted in LECA) in a cup, allowed just enough more rain to fall to collect, and TDS was 98ppm TDS. I should have done this as it was first raining, but couldn't.

The difference between the leca and moss media could just be a result of greater surface in one media.

Do these make sense? - especially the water collected after rainfall from the pots - I am taking this as the rain does significantly flush the pots.

The rain does flush the pots but of which nutrients?

OF COURSE the LECA accumulates minerals. Everything does.

Start with a "pure" clean pellet, and saturate it it with a 50 ppm N solution.

As it dries from the outside in, the solute minerals concentrate, moving more and more to the center of the pellet. Once enough solvent evaporates, the minerals precipitate. Those solids are at a 1-million ppm concentration, and when they are re-exposed to solvent (wetted again), do not instantly redissolve.

Repeat the process over and over, so the level of accumulation increases.

Add to that any rapid drying due to sun exposure, high temperatures, etc, and the deposits can be closer to the surface.

What gets extracted by the rainwater is entirely a solubility issue at that point. (Which is why I try to keep my S/H pots totally wet at all times - no drying = no precipitation.)

The device readout shows ppm, so its ppm.

It sounds strong yes, but I've got no root tip burn, nor any other symptoms of fertilizer burn. It is a total of 4 teaspoons in 20 l of tap water.

The dosage is consistent with commercial growing where plants are forced under optimum environmental conditions.

If you are intending to follow the new er idea of the K-lite nutrition the application is too strong.

Since you are growing outdoors using rainfall you don't really have much control.

I find it very interesting that many people on slippertalk are very into tds, conductivity fertilizer concentrations, K-lite, testing of all sorts and so on. I feel very fortunate and grateful that all I have to do is throw an orchid in a pot or in my trees and fertilize, spray for bugs, and fungus once in a while. I have gone through testing different fertilizers, media, just about everything and I have found in my experience that location is everything. I honestly don't see much difference from Miracle Grow, MSU, K-lite or any of the other stuff that I have used in the past. The only thing that I have noticed that makes any real difference is lowering the fertilizer concentration in winter and upping it slightly in the summer. You guys must really love your orchids, either that or you're nuts...

and oh yeah, I am watering my plants and posting at the same time, just starting raining here...

If your TDS meter is calibrated then as a general rule of thumb, 400ppm while the orchid is growing and 200ppm when not, is safe for any orchid.

I find it very interesting that many people on slippertalk are very into tds, conductivity fertilizer concentrations, K-lite, testing of all sorts and so on. I feel very fortunate and grateful that all I have to do is throw an orchid in a pot or in my trees and fertilize, spray for bugs, and fungus once in a while. I have gone through testing different fertilizers, media, just about everything and I have found in my experience that location is everything. I honestly don't see much difference from Miracle Grow, MSU, K-lite or any of the other stuff that I have used in the past. The only thing that I have noticed that makes any real difference is lowering the fertilizer concentration in winter and upping it slightly in the summer. You guys must really love your orchids, either that or you're nuts...

All probably true but we have nothing else to talk about at the moment:rollhappy:

This may stop some confusion:

EC (in dS/m) x 640 = TDS (in ppm)

1 dS/m = 1 mS/m = 1000 uS/m
1 uS/m = 0.001 dS/m.

So EC (in uS/m) x 0.64 = TDS (in ppm)

You should be able to work out anything you want form this with any meter.

Ok, but when I was using 3.5 tsp per 20 l, I was seeing issues. I increased it by 1/2 a teaspoon for 20 l (as recommended on here) and another fertilizing or so a week (as recommended on here), and its too much? What am I missing?

Since I have increased I'm not seeing issues at all.

As for testing Klite, I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything. I'm just trying to work out a way to grow my plants the best I can in the conditions I have to live with.

I continue to see phenomenal growth and flowering, especially in my Hoyas too. So it does appear, at least to me, that there may be something to this Klite. But if you remember, I think I was seeing some nutritional deficiencies before, so I went with 75/25 blend, still a lot less K than most, but a little higher than straight klite.

I'm also interpreting my numbers a little different than most of you apparently. I found that after rain, the numbers are extremely low, considering they are getting fertilized with 850 ppm and dropping down to 100 ppm after a normal and common rain.

If it works with your conditions nothing else matters.

I think we gave you amounts based on what would not cause any problems.

When you increased the strength of the fertilizer you went over the threshold into a high dose range.

With your rainfall your media is getting flushed well so everything is OK.
But applying fertilizer at 850 ppm is a strong dose until it gets diluted by rain or the next watering. Also at 850 ppm you may be building up reserves of nutrients in the media that are not leaching out.

If your plants are performing well now then all is good. But you asked what we thought about the ppm readings you get so we will tell you! :)

Latest posts

Back