Taming Bifoliate Cattleya

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The last couple evenings I have been repotting my spotted Cattleya hybrids. The tallest among these is Mareeba Tiger at about 16 inches (40cm). It is a vigorous grower but can get unruly as the growth will sprawl and twist as the plant approaches the edge of the pot. Given my space constraints, this is not working for me. So I divided and repotted it and staked up the new growths, but this is just minimally helpful at the time. The new growths are fully grown and producing new roots.

For those Cattleya, especially bifoliate, growers, do you stake up Cattleya growths to keep them tidy and growing up right? If so, do you start early. I have not done this in the past, but think I need to in the future.

I should have taken a before picture but here is the aftermath of my Mareeba Tiger repot. One 5inch pot became 4 pots.

20230313_205721.jpg

Back in the "old days", I used to either buy or bend wire "loops" or "hoops" that attached to the pot rim and contained the growths.

wire-product-1-1-e1475076956916-600x600.jpg

Back in the "old days", I used to either buy or bend wire "loops" or "hoops" that attached to the pot rim and contained the growths.

I use these as well for all of my cattleyas, including the bifoliates. The only way I can keep things tidy and generate more space under the grow lights.

I use a version of this method. I don’t have the loop on top but rather just the vertical leg. I put one one each side (across from each other) and starting on one side, figure eight a long twist tie through the plant capturing several of the growths, ending on the opposite side. Helps to train, separate and stabilize. Two legged pot hangers can also be used.

Thanks all for the swift responses. I will have to be more diligent about training these Catts. With the wire loops and the vertical leg, do you move/train the growths as they are developing or wait until the grows are mature before manipulating them?

I think this is just a general problem with all windowsill growers.
I got rid of my large Cattleyas and Dendrobiums long ago for this reason.
Now just samller growing Cattleyas and Dendrobiums. Even then, I struggle with them leaning on one side. Same with Neofinetias, some of which I keep under artificial light as they are small enough to keep there and I can maintain their upright & even position.
Now, as more and more of my baby paphs grow larger, they get pushed out to the windowsill. lol

By the way, you can only stake them while the growth is still young and not hardened, but even then they are still difficult to "train" so to speak as they can snap easily by just one wrong move.
Best to keep up with turning the pots on a regular basis to keep the plants upright as much as possible. Even then, I feel bad doing that because they are trying to arrange themselves to maximize the surface of area to receive the sun light.
Good luck to us! :)

Last edited:
Yes! I usually give every new growth a stake that later supports the spikes as well, later on. Unless the bulbs are shorter than normal (in that case they really don't need it) Then after the flowers finish the whole plant gets tied up like a big psubo-bulb bouquet.
-Patrick
IMG_20221003_084545_kindlephoto-1858051967.jpg

Latest posts

Back