Tall orchid pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abax

In Remembrance 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would somebody please tell me how you keep tall, multi-growth
Phrags. upright on the bench. Every time I've tried plastic pots
for my large plants the whole shebang ends up falling over.

You can put something heavy (like rocks) in the bottom of the pot. I have also seen people set the unstable plant pot into a larger, more stable empty pot.

Susan

Thank you Susan. I've tried both and neither of
them worked on my largest Phrags. I finally
decided to stick with clay pots. Might not be
the best alternative, but it beats cleaning the
orchid mess off the floor.

I have done a couple of “platform” things involving a board on the bottom to make a larger base, with the pot either attached to the board with wire hooks that went over the lip, or with three vertical boards that supported the pot on the sides.

Here's how they keep those tall Cymbidium pots from falling over in Japan. These wire racks are also used to safely house Neofinetia in cramped conditions safely, giving them just enough room to grow well and preventing them from being blown over by wind or being knocked. Leave it to this culture to come up with an elegant solution.
https://blog.goo.ne.jp/mittanno/m/201903/1

Thank you for the advice. I shall try to make
a rack of sorts in the shop. I
prefer being outside this time of year and my
little construction projects are on hold in favor
of gardening

Trays? There are usually trays available to fit any size pot, just pick something with fairly deep pockets. I've also used the plastic 'cases' for 2L soda bottles, they hold eight.

Angela,
Trays are probably a decent quick fix - until you get back in the shop.
I have that problem in spades when the winds start to blow here, so most of my orchids, bigger phrags included, are hanging. I recognize that doesn’t work for everyone. Also, I don’t re-pot into plastic pots, but that’s another story . . . Best, Kate

Latest posts

Back