Taking pre-oder flasks of big lip phalaenopsis breeding

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
I'm ordering new flasks from Taiwan of their latest 'big foot' phalaenopsis breeding. Planned shipping would be first week of March 2015. Need to receive pre-order before Feb 6, 2015

These are coming from Tying Shin Orchids. A few are second or third generation big foot. First generation (non big foot x big foot) yield about 30% progeny with big foot lip. While using big foot x big foot will increase the percentage of getting a big foot flower, variations are expected depending on crosses.

If interested, please contact me to pre-order.

list can be download here
http://www.bigleaforchids.com/store/Tying_Shin_Orchids_flasks_pre_order.pdf

Hmmm, one more step in breeding, and it won't look as an orchid any more...ya, call me old-fashioned!

I'm not familiar with big foot Phals., but my birthday is in
March and gift certificate time. Do you have a photo or
two to illustrate the type of flower?

In the flask list there are photos of parents used to make these flasks.

When I visited Tying Shin Orchids in 2013, I took these photos. These are not great because my schedule only allowed my visit in the evening.

TyingShin_20130405(1).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(2).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(3).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(4).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(5).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(6).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(26).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(39).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(50).JPG

TyingShin_20130405(60).JPG

as if the phals weren't round enough :) i actually like it though... definitely an interesting direction in breeding

I actually like these "Big Foot" Phals. We had this plant in our collection: Phal. Yu Pin Easter Island 'Big Foot':

I crossed it onto one of our large standard white with pink blush Phalaenopsis (Phal. Mary B 'Pink Blush') to try to improve the shape and size of these 'Big Foot' Phals. This is a picture of a first bloom seedling that just opened up (and you are right that about 30 % of the seedlings inherit this "Big Foot" characteristic):

I like them, just because they are different, so it adds some variation to the mix...

Robert

Hmmmm...well, I had to think about it a bit, but I do like
some of them. The big foot characteristic looks much better on the soft pastels and whites. I don't care for all
that crazy spotting on any Phals.

Oh my....any freakier and they will look like pansies. A couple are 'okay' but overall I don't like this trend. The natural look is much preferable.

This flower just opened. Should flat out more and become larger. It's one of the seedlings I got one or two years need to check my record. My plant is small. But I'm happy to get a big lip. It's about 30 percent chance
182bceed6ef1ad7b07a8e502a5dc9d43.jpg

Latest posts

Back