Take a guess, found in Santa Cruz Mountains

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I went orchid hunting this weekend (we only take photos and try not to trample anything) and found this isolated population growing on a cliff. I think I know what it is, but I believe some of you would enjoy guessing.

14045018224_f79b62e0cf_c.jpg
14021431406_d4cbaf74dd_c.jpg

14064584483_e56a2f4f07_z.jpg
14064587893_e83a733226_z.jpg

I highly encourage anyone who hasn't yet tried looking for native orchids to do so, it's extremely fun and rewarding.

I had no idea you all had morels out that far west! I thought that was only a midwestern growing species. You learn something new every day.

I'm going back to check up on them this weekend. They could be somewhat interesting because of how isolated they are.

Agreed. I just came in from an all day ride up into the local mountains to look for Calanthe seiboldii - found some! :clap:
Proof or it didn't happen! I want to see pics!
I'm guessing that is a Piperia species since Platanthera are more in the mountains and the north.
Yes! I'm pretty sure it's a Piperia. It's probably elegans or elongata.

I had no idea you all had morels out that far west! I thought that was only a midwestern growing species. You learn something new every day.
Yeah, they are rarer out here, but if there's a fire in the right spot they will come up.

Dont forget the tasty slug!
People eat them! Though their defence mechanism is to taste bad.

I'm going back to check up on them this weekend. They could be somewhat interesting because of how isolated they are.
Proof or it didn't happen! I want to see pics!

I did take video, but it was so similar to the trip I video taped last year I don't know that I'll bother publishing it again. I was hoping to find new plants in adjacent valleys, and indeed I did find a new clump, but it was out of flower. The place I look for them is on scree slopes that are so vertical you cannot climb, you have to pull yourself up by vines, tree trunks, and bushes. I actually scared myself a few times yesterday since the fall down is absolute. It was fun but exhausting! If you want to see a similar journey (same area), see this video from last year:

The Search for Calanthe Sieboldii

Latest posts

Back