Taiwanese Rothschildianum 2022

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
I said last year that this was one of my most vigorous orchids, here it is again blooming 1 year later (last year's blooming: LINK). Only 2 flowers this year, but they are slightly larger (NS 28.5, DS 6.0) with better color. This plant grows on a south facing window in my home, and took 2 years to mature a growth last time, so I was surprised when it sent up a sheath late last fall. I had a second thrip outbreak around that time and treated my whole collection again for several weeks, the result was all of my roth sheaths turned brown, and I had given up on them as blasted. I was thrilled when I had this one out to water in February, and I observed a new sheath pushing up through the old one. This plant is a juggernaut, and nothing will stop it from blooming. I wish there was more breeding for this type of vigor! It has also finally sent out two leads for the first time, so it seems to finally be clumping/reaching maturity. I'm excited to see what it can do on a larger, multigrowth plant.
Sheath in November:
Sheath-Nov.jpg
Sheath in February:
Sheath-Feb.jpg
Just opening, and my attempt at a black background (LED lighting):
Opening Plant-LED.jpg
Fully open, in natural light:
Whole Plant.jpgSecond Flower.jpgWhole Plant 3.jpg

the colour and 'stance' are very good. 2 flowers is a bit disappointing, hopefully an aberration.

I agree to the statement regarding colour and stance....but I think it's a great achievment to reflower a Paph. rothschildianum as a window-sill grower within one year ! So I would be modest and accept the reduced flower count. My opinion.

I agree to the statement regarding colour and stance....but I think it's a great achievment to reflower a Paph. rothschildianum as a window-sill grower within one year ! So I would be modest and accept the reduced flower count. My opinion.

I agree. And better stance than mine which has two flowers coming that are barely coming out of the crown!

I said last year that this was one of my most vigorous orchids, here it is again blooming 1 year later (last year's blooming: LINK). Only 2 flowers this year, but they are slightly larger (NS 28.5, DS 6.0) with better color. This plant grows on a south facing window in my home, and took 2 years to mature a growth last time, so I was surprised when it sent up a sheath late last fall. I had a second thrip outbreak around that time and treated my whole collection again for several weeks, the result was all of my roth sheaths turned brown, and I had given up on them as blasted. I was thrilled when I had this one out to water in February, and I observed a new sheath pushing up through the old one. This plant is a juggernaut, and nothing will stop it from blooming. I wish there was more breeding for this type of vigor! It has also finally sent out two leads for the first time, so it seems to finally be clumping/reaching maturity. I'm excited to see what it can do on a larger, multigrowth plant.
Sheath in November:
View attachment 33245
Sheath in February:
View attachment 33246
View attachment 33247
View attachment 33248View attachment 33249View attachment 33250
Sheath in November:
View attachment 33245
Sheath in February:
View attachment 33246
View attachment 33247
[/QUOT

Thanks for the detailed photos. This gives me hope that some people of the empty sheaths from my plants can still develop something.

Great photo - hope my HOF Roth also grows as well.

Sheath in November:
View attachment 33245
Sheath in February:
View attachment 33246
View attachment 33247
What a beauty. Thanks for showing the plant!
Theory: you insulting the plant with the thrips treatment stimulated the multiple growths.

Still in bloom. I’ve been playing around with my photography set up, so I snapped a few new photos. Natural light, but I did turn down the brightness a bit because the photos looked a little washed out compared to the flowers in front of me.
9729CABC-2E02-4A85-9503-081368ECD783.jpegFB34D874-822A-4068-BD03-EB84160057D1.jpeg

Latest posts

Back