T5 fixture availability

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

sdk.catfish

Reaction score
I have recently moved and have to rebuild my orchid habitat. Previosly I used all T5 fixtures and with the exception of ballests burning out too soon thought they provided good light. I can't seem to find anywhere (Home Depot, Menards. Lowes etc.) that carry fixtures anymore. All going to LED lighting I suppose but the lumen output doesn't appear to be the same. I'm looking for both 4' and 2' double light fixtures. I can find the bulbs just fine, but no fixtures. Can any one point me in the right direction. Thank you

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at the LED lamps sold by theorchidhobbyist.com.

skirincich

Unknown Member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I would give you mine if you lived in the Boston area. Some with LED light experience have suggested that lumen output may not be the best way to evaluate LED lights.

chris20

Reaction score
Now you can get T5 LED tubes that are interchangeable with the fluorescents. I bought some but haven’t had a chance to use them yet.

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
If you're reasonably good Do It Yourself, you can make fixtures for LED grow lights
yourself quite cheaply.

richgarrison

Reaction score
I’d second Ray’s suggestion. They have fully wired waterproof ‘tubes that plug and play (light?). The wiring and plugs allow you to daisy chain multiple “tubes’ together as a single connected array.