Sushi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm... my friends here actually got to eat what was called "essence of baby seal," which call me crazy, is a little gross to me since seals look too much like my kitty.

I used to love unagi, until I got a long (a little over an inch), thin bone lodges in my throat. It hurt for the entire next day and hurt even worse when I got onto the six hour flight to new york. I finally got it out at some point on the flight. I'm not kidding or exagerrating.

Ha ha ha, seal. That's enough to make a PETA member cry.

The only sushi I don't like are the huge rolls with everything on them, like Dragon rolls and Rainbow rolls. There is just too much going on there flavor wise.

Wow Tien, that must have been scary and annoying.

I very rarely get a piece of Unagi that has been trimmed wrong and still has a little of the prickly flesh on it. While it doesn't hurt to eat, it is unsettling. Usually that is at a sushi bar that I have no business eating at anyway. Like a grocery store version. :) Sometimes you just need it.

I will probably start out avoiding Unagi for my home sushi exploits. Unless I can find a pre-cooked package of it at the Japanese grocery.

By the way, I live not one mile from two really awesome grocery stores. One is a Japanese market, and the other is a Chinese grocery inside a mini Chinatown. One mile the other way is open desert with saguaro and mountains, and one mile another way is the airport and the ASU campus. I don't know why you all care, I just find the diversity of my surroundings surreal.

yeah if they don't broil the eel fully there might be bones left in. same with any piece of fish I suppose.

speaking of PETA, it's always been a fantasy of mine to play "whack the PETA member" a la whack a mole at the carnival. what a bunch of nutjobs (and that's coming from a PAPH grower).

I haven't had sushi in several months. Everytime there's a new post on this thread. I get semi-subliminal messages about going to get sushi and my mouth starts to water.

My favorite has definately got to be salmon, eel and squid (not the octopus) mmmmmm

Jmoney said:
speaking of PETA

People Eating Tasty Animals?
(I always found that amusing)

Actually though, I was veg. for several years in college. Still very much against fur and animal testing but I love eating meat. I also worked in 4th grade to raise money for Greenpeace to save the Harp seals. I don't recall how much I raised but it was a fair amount and got us some nice buttons and pamplets and stuff due to my campaign. I was always kind of proud of that. Hence, when offered "seal" at a restaurant, of course I had to turn that down. ;)

When I lived in New Mexico, I was cleaning out a file cabinet where I worked and came across this bumper sticker that said "Eat more lamb, 10,000 coyotes can't be wrong!"
Which I thought was hilarious, and I really dig lamb, so I put it on my car. People at Phish shows used to really curse me out....

Here are my first two plates of sushi...

sushiplate1.jpg

Pictured are small crab roll w/wasabi, shrimp nigiri, smoked salmon and cream cheese roll

sushiplate2.jpg

shrimp nigiri, salmon nigiri, california roll

I had problems on my first plate getting the rolls centered. The second plate looks better, but tastes just as good as the first plate.

I guess I will keep practicing, and eating my mistakes.

:drool:

One time my ladyfriend and I bought sushi. She noticed the little pile of wasabi in the corner and immediately said "Oh awesome, guacamole!" and ate a big chunk of it.

I laughed so, so much. I still think she's mad about it.

Funny, but.... oh I feel bad for laughing... hmm... still funny... :noangel:

those sushi and nigiri looks yummy!!! :drool:

I'm craving sushi for breakfast... is that normal??? :sob:

nicely done!

snapped a pic back when I started making these @#^@ inside-out rolls, gotta have that glass of sake (unfiltered in this case). later on got a "boat" for cheap, and caught an american eel...(yes I put avocado in everything).

sushi1.JPG

sushi2.JPG

Wow, when you guys want to do something, you really do it.

Jason, I like your taste in avocados. It looks perfect: firm, yet soft, but not mushy. That's the state I love them in best.

Sounds like Tien is another avocado freak.
I never ever buy ripe ones, because, no matter what, they always suck. You have to let them ripen at home or else everyone's grubby paws will have bruised them and I refuse to pay for a bruised fruit.

I am the same way with peaches (and nectarines). Consequently, I don't eat many of them. :(

the ripest I'll ever buy them is still slightly firm, at least a day or two away from using. still, occasionally you get tricked and get a total dud. after I started using avocados, sushi just doesn't seem complete without a slice.

When I lived in Albuquerque, the local flavor was to put guacamole on hamburgers. At first I wasn't interested. Then I tried one, and now I can't think of eating a hamburger without some. I go to subway alot too, and they have added avacado to their vegetable selections. So I get a big heaping spoonful of avacado on my sandwich instead of mayo. If they ever get rid of avacado at subway, I will probably start bringing my own.

That is the curse of avacado, once you start putting it on food, you can't live without it on that food.

You should try thhe Southeast Asian delicacy known as... avocado milkshake. Yum! I grew up eating avocados as a dessert, soemthing sweet, and when someone tried to give me guacamole, I stuck my tongue out. Now, I like all kinds of ways, except, I still don't care much for guacamole (too mushy!)

Back