Susan Booth 'Windy Hill' AM/AOS 1st bloom of division for me

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrs. Paph

I'll try to take more pictures as the blooms open, but I'm really pleased with this one already! I got a ridiculous deal on it, considering it's a nice awarded division, but it was what I would call 'scratch & dent' with one battered unbloomed growth from the same orchid estate sale collection that had to be moved in a hurry after water got shut off to a greenhouse the August before last - definitely worth my ($5 or less if I recall right) money, as all of the ones from that sale are turning out to be as they start growing and blooming again! Susan Booth is roth x praestans, and I like the look of this one! 3 flowers this time, and the size seems nice to me too, so I'm impressed with this blooming on the one mature growth it came with, with two new starts. The first start to pop out right after I got it was crippled and didn't really open up to let the leaves grow out, but the second one to come out later is growing normally :)
73690810100119377428809.jpg

74055710100119375088499.jpg

74110210100119375946779.jpg

And here's a picture of my Wayne Booth blooming in a previous season for comparison (it was a pretty healthy, 1st bloom seedling with a couple NBS starts on this blooming) - that is, Susan Booth crossed back to roth again, so it understandably had bigger blooms and straighter petals from the extra 'shot' of roth, but I really like both hybrids :)
17093064689060920969977.jpg

Hard to find room for them as an indoor grower, but can never have enough multi's anyway :clap: Now I need the pure species that go into these!! :rollhappy:

Both are stunning. That looks to be a lovely Susan Booth. Nice and dark and a great dorsal. I can see why it was awarded. It will look amazing once your plant has established. Did I read that right? You paid $5 for it. That is the deal of the century.

What a deal! Looks great. How do you grow indoors? And what are your temps and humidity? I like to know how other indoor growers grow their orchids, especially mounted ones.

Thanks everyone :) I've done quite a few happy-orchid dances for plants from that same sale lol
Orchid Boy - if you do a search for my screen name and, say, Paph barbigerum, I know there's some threads where I talk about my growing conditions, and they're all in the same 'plant room' both roth hybrids and mini species :) But for general info, I grow under 5000K florescent lights, and I'm in OK, so the outdoor temps dictate that more affordable indoor temps be in the intermediate/warm - warm range year round. I do the best I can with humidity, but there's only so much to be done indoors without a basement, and without peeling paint and molding carpet, so the ave humidity is not great :)

update! & Addicted Phillip

All open now!! I'm Really pleased with this division, especially since I can expect even better if it keeps growing well for me!! This thing just about knocks you down walking into my little orchid room :rollhappy: It has presence!
77458410100126533203579l.jpg

And slightly from the side:
77451710100126535404169.jpg

And here's a quick, so-so shot of my Addicted Phillip!!! LOVE this plant - it's been with me almost since the beginning (over 10yrs), and really seems to be growing well now. Only 3 blooms on this spike, but there's 2 more spikes coming!! It used to take a year, or even a few, off between bloomings, but last year it had 2 spikes with 4 & 5 blooms each, so I can't complain about the show it looks like it's going to put on this year :) 3 lower count spikes this year, and hope for 4-5 count multiple spikes in the future! :D It came from Antec and was made with adductum (not anitum) and var. roebelenii.
77467610100126527310389.jpg

The blooms aren't overly short lived, but they're not as long lived as some of my multi's tend to be either, so I'll post a separate thread later if it pulls off any unison blooming with the other two spikes, but it may just spread out the blooms for me this year.

They're T12's, but yep, everything is under lights! It gets too hot here for summering Paphs outside, so for the highest light plants I just snug them up right under the bulbs - leaf tips just a few hairs from touching for large/very upright growers like this when out of bloom. I only ever had one gifted Dendrob. that sat on a windowsill until I killed it, and maybe one Phal, then I went straight to lights to have more control. It's not ideal, but they do seem to accumulate enough light to do their thing! I have some even higher light non-Paph stuff blooming well for me too, but those seem to like the nasty heat here too, so they summer outdoors to get that nice oven-toasted tinge of red/purple or washed out, almost not green enough leaves that keeps them blooming indoors in winter :p

Latest posts

Back