surprised DE isn’t recommended more often

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i upcycled a dry shampoo dispenser and refilled with diatomaceous earth. my latest tool to defend against potential thrips, mites and mealies! surprised DE isn’t recommended more often. i stole the DE from my chicken keeping supplies. helps keep the coop and nests free and clear of mites so thought i'd give it a shot in the orchid shelf and so far so good.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    9.5 MB
There are various grades of DE available. The sharp, horticultural grade, being very spiky, is excellent. The filtration grade tends to be rounded, and is still effective, but to a lesser extent.

I use floor-dry (granulated kiln dried DE) in the garden to keep the slugs from decimating my hostas and food grade DE in the chicken supplies. is the horticultural grade marketed as the pest control stuff? wondering how food grade stuff holds up compared to horticultural grade. 🤔

Someone told me it was illegal to use in California, maybe for business usage. Wouldn't surprise me cause we have a lot of regulations. I got a bottle from my neighbor and it's a great way to keep ants out of the house.

merc, DE doesn't work for deer! The local population of deer wiped out my daylilies and hosta this summer. Neither
DE or Repels All works for deer. Any advice about deer deterrants will be appreciated from anybody.

merc, DE doesn't work for deer! The local population of deer wiped out my daylilies and hosta this summer. Neither
DE or Repels All works for deer. Any advice about deer deterrants will be appreciated from anybody.
i sprinkle in deer scram granules (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00169FKLI) around the base of the hostas to deter deer. full disclosure: it's blood/cinnamon based with deer bits in it.

we also have a bunch of battery motion activated lights (https://www.amazon.com/Quiltered-Operated-Detector-Security-Spotlight/dp/B0B4W9RS81) strung up along the shade garden path. the deer here are skittish and don't like the flood lights.

Deer decimated our hostas in PA. I don’t recall the brand name, but spraying them with a product that contained fermented egg albumin kept them away.

I wonder if this would stop pantry moths. Worked most of the day yesterday (with hubbys help) totally cleaning out the pantry.

Thank you Ray and merc for the tips. I'll try anything next summer...well, maybe not a gun as locals suggest. A gardening
friend in VA tried bending chicken wire over his plants and it didn't work. The deer tore the wire down. The
deer pay no attention to motion activated lights at all on my farm.

Linus, a fence won't work on 100 acres of land with trees in the field. The breeding males destroy a lot of
trees in breeding season. A fence works fine on my veggie garden.

The most effective deterrent for deer that I have found and recommended to many people is a motion activated sprinkler. It really works. Waters your garden at the same time…
There are a few different types on Amazon.
When activated the water sprays with a repetitive sound that also scares the deer.
These really work…

Latest posts

Back