Surprise

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paph robinsonianum

Is that a new species? Paph robinsonianum?

1238353_528755660526680_1468091326_n.jpg

Nice, I like the "two toned" dorsal. Not a lot of photos out there for this species yet. Wonderful leaves also.

I'll be skeptical here. Looks like a hybrid between the hookerae allies and one of the appletonianum allies to me.

But cool if it turns out to be.

Rick- would you say that due to the dorsal or b/c of the reflexing petals? Or maybe I missed something.

Unfortunate name choice if it is, robinsonii has been around for a long time as a variety? of bullenianum. Should cause a bit more needed confusion!

Rick- would you say that due to the dorsal or b/c of the reflexing petals? Or maybe I missed something.

Well, the pouch and the dorsal look so much like sangii or hookerae is in there somehow. the petal color scheme, the ruffling is in line with both the appletonianum group and the hookerae allies. The two plants that are seen, the left has a bullenianum/hainanese look to it and the right has a hookerae look to it.

Unfortunate name choice if it is, robinsonii has been around for a long time as a variety? of bullenianum. Should cause a bit more needed confusion!
And what really sucks, Robinianum is a named hybrid to boot! Too bad one of the discribers can't change his/her name!:poke:
Paphiopedilum "robinsonianum"
Découvert Aout 2013, Décrit par W. Cavestro, en collaboration avec N. Bougourd et
A. Robinson

We have same reflexion on the French forums.

So, they think about to choose another name. It would be judicious.

I agree that the proposed name is unfortunate. Where has this new species been found?
It reminds me of virens in some apects, and the undulate petals are hookerae-ish, as Rick suggested. But: what's wrong with the staminode??? on the photos, it doesen't look like a standard Barbata section staminode, but crippled and defunct. Well, the pics I can see aren't very sharp, so I might be wrong.

I agree that the proposed name is unfortunate. Where has this new species been found?
It reminds me of virens in some apects, and the undulate petals are hookerae-ish, as Rick suggested. But: what's wrong with the staminode??? on the photos, it doesen't look like a standard Barbata section staminode, but crippled and defunct. Well, the pics I can see aren't very sharp, so I might be wrong.

I meant to mention that about the staminode. Its also looking white in color(?)

Well, I can't face book, and don't speak much french, so I just don't know what these plants are or where they are from. Luckily, Mr. Cavestro will publish a comprehensive scientific account on this new taxon very soon ( I suppose), where he's certainly going to provide more than a good guess on the function of this stamniode ;)
I find this flower unusual in some aspects. The bulbous pouch, the narrow, undulate petals with the median stripe, the shape and colouration of the dorsal and the unusual staminode all make me wonder if this is a Barbata species at all. Try go..... primaries of spicerianum with Barbata species, and even if there's no exact match, there are aspects in "robinsonianum" that are reminiscent of some flowers of P. Acolyte or Polystigmaticum, for example.
I'd really like to learn the story behind these plants.

To me, it looks like a species and not a hybrid of some sort. In fact there is a bunch of them flowering which they all looks the same. Also the flowers doesnt resembles any hybrid.

There is an article written in French describing the flower. I am still waiting for the english version though.

For the folks who doesn't have facebook.

1236043_529885217080391_2093997965_n.jpg

Thanks a lot, Eggshells.

You're right, doesn't look much like a hybrid, and the locality Sulawesi almost rules out a hybrid with sect. Paphiopedilum.
The unusual staminode might indicate autogamy, since almost all other Paphs are pollinated by hover flies, where the staminode attracts the pollinator.

Latest posts

Back