Surprise visitor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphluvr

Reaction score
I keep a feeder on my deck about 5' outside of my great room window, primarily to feed the local goldfinches. The other day a larger bird at the feeder caught my eye and I was surprised to see this woodpecker chowing down. It stuck around for almost 15 min. and wasn't to happy to share with the finches, either. I've seen him once since.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 4
Yes...the unlikely named "red-bellied" woodpecker. We had those, as well as downy and hairy woodpeckers in PA, and a couple of years before we moved to NC, a pileated pair moved into the neighborhood.

Here in NC we have seen red-bellied and pileated woodpeckers.

Like you, I thought the same. That's why I labeled the thread "Surprise Visitor".
I guess they'll have to eat just about anything to get through the winter. It would be so nice to have a garden to have wild life around and look out the window to see them in the winter. Thanks for sharing!

Amazing. We have a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker visiting our feeders at times. They are more common at feeders in the UK though.

Suet is the big deal with woodpeckers. I even have red headed at the feeders. Today I got to hold and help recover
a sharp-shinned hawk that flew into a window. He was GORGEOUS and actually rather unexcited when I picked
him up so the dogs wouldn't bother him until he recovered from the shock. I live in the deep woods and love the
opportunity to observe the local critters. Last summer we had a young black bear on the property...lots of deer
as well. We feed all the critters that come by our house.

The last time I saw the little bear he was running full tilt boogie from my nephew's dog...a Duck Toller. Haven't seen him/her
since. There's plenty to eat in the woods of KY for a bear. I also have four dogs that protect our property loudly.

The last time I saw the little bear he was running full tilt boogie from my nephew's dog...a Duck Toller. Haven't seen him/her
since. There's plenty to eat in the woods of KY for a bear. I also have four dogs that protect our property loudly.
I’ve seen a black bear rip open a German Shepherd’s belly with one swipe of his claw. He obviously didn’t think much of the dog barking protecting his property. Bears are not something to attract in any way.

Latest posts

Back