superbiens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Mike. Good luck with the plant.

PS. This is no longer considered superbiens. Straight curtisii. superbiens is no longer part of this plant's name after the true superbiens was rediscovered a couple years back. I think Olaf published a comparative paper and I posted a real superbiens last year here on ST.

This is no longer considered superbiens. Straight curtisii. superbiens is no longer part of this plant's name after the true superbiens was rediscovered a couple years back. I think Olaf published a comparative paper and I posted a real superbiens last year here on ST.
This discussion turns up once and again...I will just quote two, elucidating posts from an earlier thread, that clearly shows the difference between P. curtisii and the rediscovered, 'true' P. superbiens, that had been lost to cultivation for a while. NB. You have to 'Click to expand' (lowest in the quote) to see Olaf's post in its entirety::
Your plant is really a true Paphiopedilum curtisii. Some years ago the true Paph. superbiens was found again and this Shows the clear differences to curtisii. Her eat first two different clones of curtisii

View attachment 16835
Paphiopedilum curtisii

and now the true superbiens View attachment 16836 Paphiopedilum superbiens

Here an old print of the typical Paph. superbiens

View attachment 16837

Best greetings

Olaf

And:
I put this issue to rest a year+ ago but folks here have very short memories. View attachment 16844 View attachment 16845

Muhammad Isiraq' s plant from Bluenanta Orhidroots Group.A real one, it is very rare, I think.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1593167731753.jpg
    FB_IMG_1593167731753.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 18
I think it's a pretty nice one. Plant looks miserable because it suffered many indignities last summer.
I selfed this one even though it might weaken or even kill the plant!...

This is an impressive specues that tends to flower quite long but, unfortunately, often dies off after blooming whether it sets a pod or not! I have lost two of them after flowering which is very unusual in my experience. ☹

This discussion turns up once and again...I will just quote two, elucidating posts from an earlier thread, that clearly shows the difference between P. curtisii and the rediscovered, 'true' P. superbiens, that had been lost to cultivation for a while. NB. You have to 'Click to expand' (lowest in the quote) to see Olaf's post in its entirety::

And:
So does this mean that my ''superbiens'' alba is probably curtisii as well? It will flower soon I think.

So does this mean that my ''superbiens'' alba is probably curtisii as well? It will flower soon I think.

I will have to check with Olaf's book on Genus Paphiopedilum Album, when I get home from work, but if my memory doesn't totally elude me, only the albino form of curtisii has been legitimately published?!

Very nice bloom! I like it’s form better than mine. Mine is fairly vigorous, as long as I keep it very moist, yet airy.

Latest posts

Back